The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Had the Pleasure of Meeting MoscaPescador Today!

I went to the Sacramento International Sportsman Exposition and worked the California Fly Fishers Unlimited booth for a while then did a little browsing. While checking out the booths I noticed the shop that MP works out was there next to the casting pool so I dropped by and sure enough he was there. He showed me a couple different chest packs as I've been thinking of getting one, but haven't been able to make up my mind which one. I'm thinking this season I'm going to down size. I might even try using a fishing shirt and lanyard. I didn't stay and talk long since he was working, but well hopefully one day we can spend some time on the water.

While at the show I picked up a couple travel rod tubes, pretty cheap from California Fly Shop and a information on a couple destinations I like to go fishing. I also bought a subscription to California Fly Fisher Magazine and attended a couple seminars. All in all it was a very good day.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-23-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had the Pleasure of Meeting MoscaPescador Today!

Tom: Sounds like you had a pretty good day at the Sacramento International Sportsman Expedition and getting a chance to talk with Dennis made it all the better. Way cool!

Larry

Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It was a pleasure to meet you, Tom. It was much busier than I thought for it being a football playoff Sunday. I am glad that we had a chance to talk about minimalizing.

MP
Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Always great to meet a forum member... even greater to meet Dennis
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

Nice to see NAFFers getting the chance to meet up. Good to hear you picked up a sub to Cal Fly Fisher too Tom - I used to write for them when I was based in San Diego. Great local journal and watch out for my good buddy Scott Donaghe who gets an article in there once in a while still.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
It was a pleasure to meet you, Tom. It was much busier than I thought for it being a football playoff Sunday. I am glad that we had a chance to talk about minimalizing.

MP
I heard the same thing from Gary over at American, but that it was crazy busy on Saturday. So I'm glad I was their on Sunday since I'm not much of a Football fan anyway. I never miss watching the Superbowl though, mostly because I like to see what the commercials. Though IMO they've never been as good again as the Budweiser Frogs were.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-24-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Neat story. Fun to hear about our members meeting. I had a chance to go to the show (about 3 1/2 hrs). A bunch of our guys did, and brought back pictures. It looked really busy.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tom,

That sounds like a fun day all around. There are so many people in this group (Dennis is one of them) who I have messaged with that we would have to have a convention someday in order to get to meet face to face. It is great to hear that you met one another.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie and Tom,
If you want to see busy, go to the Fly Fishing Show at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds on Februrary 25 to 27. There will be two convention halls full of fly fishing exhibitors.

Here are some highlights of the weekend.

Amy Hazel was holding a cup of water with her teeth while Spey casting. She did not spill any of that water. Talk about steady!

A bunch of guides, reps, and shop guys had a three weight distance competition. The rod was a seven foot three weight Hardy fiberglass rod. The furthest cast was 72 feet. Most of us schmucks casted just shy of 60. Next year we might do a short distance accuracy contest with a 14 weight.

I saw Mikey Wier's Soulfish 2 video premier after the show on Friday night. I am hoping he makes the final cut soon because the footage is great.

MP
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 AM

fisher2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Jimmie and Tom,
If you want to see busy, go to the Fly Fishing Show at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds on Februrary 25 to 27. There will be two convention halls full of fly fishing exhibitors.

Here are some highlights of the weekend.

Amy Hazel was holding a cup of water with her teeth while Spey casting. She did not spill any of that water. Talk about steady!

A bunch of guides, reps, and shop guys had a three weight distance competition. The rod was a seven foot three weight Hardy fiberglass rod. The furthest cast was 72 feet. Most of us schmucks casted just shy of 60. Next year we might do a short distance accuracy contest with a 14 weight.

I saw Mikey Wier's Soulfish 2 video premier after the show on Friday night. I am hoping he makes the final cut soon because the footage is great.

MP
Yup, the footage is amazing for sure.