The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What is the best single piece of advice you would give beginners?

You guys are going to kill me for this but I would give the advice to ignore the purists in the sports fish for you want to fish for.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Perhaps I was a bit harsh,

I like the mentor idea. I had one for tying but not for fishing so I went to the school of hard knocks. I can't complain, I started when I was 13. It took 42 years to learn what I know now and I am not finished with my learning curve. It has been a pleasure all the way.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Perhaps I was a bit harsh,

I like the mentor idea. I had one for tying but not for fishing so I went to the school of hard knocks. I can't complain, I started when I was 13. It took 42 years to learn what I know now and I am not finished with my learning curve. It has been a pleasure all the way.
ARD

I was very fortunate in my education. My mentor that set me on the life long path of Fly Fishing was my father. He introduced me to the sport at the age of 10 in Yellowstone. Now 36 yrs later I'm living in the Yellowstone area and guiding others. I know a fair amount and am humbled by the fact I'll never know it all.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I learned on my own too.
Lessons learned the hard way are lessons remembered

The single most important advice I would give would be to fish as often as possible.
Books, magazines, DVDs internet....they're all no substitute for time on the water
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM

r00tuuu is on a distinguished road

fist thing I would say is find a farm pond usually loaded with gills & bass both easy to take on a fly. Said newby will be much less likely to get bored or worse yet discouraged. Also this would allow some privacy to practice and not feel like your ability is not up to par, that will come in time.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be part of what Ard mentioned. 'Patience, patience, and more patience', and to always have fun even if it's a tough day.

I would also add that you should try to learn something new each time you go fishing.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 AM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road

Practice...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll second the suggestions of taking casting lessons before buying gear, and finding an expert to fish with to learn- either a buddy or a local FF club.

My suggestion is to focus on casting accurately. This ranges from putting a dry fly in a spot that will drift it over a rising trout's nose, to landing a popper under overhanging brush where you know that bass is hanging out. Accurate casting at 30' will catch you 10 times as many fish as just being able to lay it down 70' away.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Finding fish is the most important skill--far more important than equipment, casting technique, etc. Knowing how fish behave and where they are likely to be is #1 in my book.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

This would depend:

If the individual had no experience whatsoever in fishing, I'd say: "Be patient and practice."

If the individual had previous experience in fishing, I'd say: "Be prepared to unlearn what you already know." Fly fishing is unlike any other type of fishing that almost nothing transfers. At least, that's the way I see it.

Grasshopper.....