The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What is the best single piece of advice you would give beginners?

"Keep it simple." First time for me was with a borrowed fly rod from a friend who was anxious to fish his own section of stream. He tied on a piece of tippet and gave me a parachute adams. Told me to tie it on just like a plug and then left me alone. A got snagged a few times but I kind of threw it out over enough water that I caught couple fish. "No splash" makes a difference I thought. This is kind of cool.

Recently started my wife fishing the same way. "Just roll it out there and then let it drift." After a couple "casts" she was intensely following her drift when it passed through "fishy looking water." She didn't want to stop! My six year old nephew just caught his first small-mouth the same way.

When I look at Tenkara fishing and high sticking, it doesn't look much different than what I did that first day. In the end, thinking out the fish spots and softly putting a fly there any way you can is the essence, isn't it?

To me, the first really valuable expert advise I got was how to roll cast-tug a mid stream snag loose. Now that was helpful.

I'm better because of all the help and advice along the way, of course, but I got hooked because I wasn't scared off by "too much instruction" that first day.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've just remembered this one given by"the pope of fishing" and it's funny but true..."always fish the fastest of the slowest and the slowest of the fastest"
I don't know if the translation is right but I hope you'll understand what he meant....
Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

"best single piece of advice"-----practice!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

"Seek out on water Advice"

As a true fly fishing beginer I learned more from 10 minutes on the water with an experienced fisherman than 10 hours in the books. Just one little tip on nymphing on keeping the rod tip below the line and being able to see how it was done improved my strikes two fold.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

My advice is: Never quit or give up, and keep your spinning/casting rod at home it to easy to set the fly rod down and do it the easy way.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:24 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Read John Gierach's book Trout Bum. It's not an instruction book, but
will give you a glimpse into the culture of flyfishing.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

don't stand where you should be fishin'.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
don't stand where you should be fishin'.
I like that one. I see it too much around here. There is a lot of good advice listed so I will suggest picking up a good pair of polarized sun glasses.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Don't rush right into the water. Take a few minutes on the bank looking around for fish or insect activity. If you see fish flashing or rising ,enter the water slowly downstream of them & work your way up to them. Enjoy the day, there's more to flyfishing then fishing. They say flyfishing can take you to the nicest places & it's true, so look around & enjoy, bring a camera....

Good Luck
Neil
stenacron likes this.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

This thread has become a compendium of fly fishing advice. So, in that spirit:

1) Read this thread first,
2) Join a local Trout Unlimited Chapter, as my chapter has twice monthly "fish with a member" (FWAM) outings that enable those at all levels to learn from others, and get to know local streams, rivers, and lakes,
3) Understand that no matter how many years you've been fishing, learning happens every day you think about or practice this wonderful sport,
4) Never take yourself or anyone else too seriously, as there are some who wear fly fishing like a badge. Understand and accept that there are many fishing styles, and one is no different from another when an ethical approach to respecting others and the quarry you seek are at your core.