The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the best single piece of advice you would give beginners?

Don't let Perfect be the enemy of Good.

A few classic flies, like the Bead Head Wooly Bugger, Hares Ear, Elk Hair Caddis, etc got to be classics because they flat out work. I've wasted lots of prime fishing time by trying out various candidates for the "next perfect fly" only to find the old stand bys work better anyway.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Tons of great info on this thread. As a guide I'm on the water almost every day. When I'm not guiding, I'm on the water too. For me, it's not about gear, or landing Walter. Melt into the moment and find the rhythm of the day. I suspect that most fishermen derail success by deciding before they leave home, how things are going to go. Work in a shop, and you see guys fishing the same fly they caught a fish on 20 years ago. When I'm teaching a student, I turn over a rock and show them a bug, and ask them to pick out a fly that matches it. Haven't had one yet that can't come close. No Latin needed, no confusing fly names. Keep it simple, and enjoy. If you catch a fish great, if not you at least were tuned into reality. Beats the pants off Surviver TV.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Don't rush right into the water. Take a few minutes on the bank looking around for fish or insect activity. If you see fish flashing or rising ,enter the water slowly downstream of them & work your way up to them. Enjoy the day, there's more to flyfishing then fishing. They say flyfishing can take you to the nicest places & it's true, so look around & enjoy, bring a camera....

Good Luck
Neil
That's the best piece of advice I could say too. Sit down, enjoy that part of the day, watch the water and you'll be amazed at what you see. Then start on the bank fishing. Not in the middle of the waterway. (Not quite the same as FISHN50's but close enough)
Roll over rocks to see what is there, and invest in a seine.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Have a good time. Fly fishing is an on going learning pastime. So enjoy the learning of skills, fishing, and acquaintences.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM

thirdyearff is on a distinguished road

I didn't read through the responses so this may have been mentioned but i would offer patients...and at times, a lot of it.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Bushwacker is on a distinguished road

Learn what loading your rod means. If you can get a bigginer to think about letting the rod do all the work, it will change the way they think.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I think that everyone has great advice but I think that one of the most important thing is to enjoy it. Enjoy the fishing, enjoy the place you are fishing, enjoy the people you fish with. These are the backbone of great stories.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Dryrod is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the best single piece of advice you would give beginners?

Will say getting some instructions before hitting the water. When I first go started I went out and bought a rod, reel, line etc and hit the river running. Surprise! My line and fly didn't react like what I had seen over fly fishermen's line did. Why - I didn't know what the heck I was doing. A trip to my fly shop go me on the right path.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:19 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

One more thing, don't drink cheap tequila or whiskey the night before fishing.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The guys and gal (if Joni chimbed in) have given some great advice. Here's my advice on fly selection.

You need big flies.
You need small flies.
You need dark colored flies.
You need light colored flies.
When in doubt, just throw a bugger.

This advice was given to me by Ed Crosby who owns The Tobacconist Cigar and Fly Fishing Shop in Modesto, California, when I got back into the sport.

MP