The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:09 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default What is the best single piece of advice you would give beginners?

I'm no expert. However, after fly fishing for almost 20 years and seriously in the past few years, I've often thought about what would be the best advise I could have received in the beginning. My greatest frustration came from trying to decide what the hell each fly was. My best single piece of advice would be not to try to remember the names of all those flies. Rather, learn what mayflies, caddis, midges, stones, etc. are and what resembles them. Heck, you can call the flies Larry, Steve and George instead of Parachute Adams, Prince Nymph and Cream Variant. The names will come with exposure and repetition.

Keep in mind this piece of advice comes with the understanding that I also pursued learning all of the necessary aspects of our sport, which I did. I just got so focused on and distracted by what all these flies were. It was an unnecessary distraction for a mental midget such as myself.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What is the best single piece of advice you would give beginners?

First;

Be patient, this takes time. If you are in a hurry try something else.

Second; if you don't really love nature this might not be the best hobby for you.

Those two are right off the top of my head. I remember a cartoon character, it may have been Snaggletooth the lion, who used to say 'Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Syracuse'

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

My best advice is find an experienced fishing buddy or at the very least take some on the water fishing classes. Have fun is number two!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Catch fish. Even if that means going to a trout pond to begin with. As your confidence grows, you will really start to embrace the whole sport/experience. If you can't catch fish and get discouraged, then it was all for naught.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Take casting lessons before you buy any gear.

Frank
Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Stick with it! Once you gain a little proficiency you will have more fun than you ever did with spin gear.

Try many different rods and get what YOU like. Because there is no such thing as "the best rod".

Become a sponge and try to learn as much as you can about fly fishing.

Don’t post threads asking where the best fishing spots are

Don't post threads telling (or showing via pics) others specifically where you went.

Man I could write a book so I will just leave it at this.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

I would ad, keep it simple and allow yourself to enjoy your time on the water. Don't get caught up in the minutia, at least initially.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

i would say dont be afraid to change. Change is a good thing in fly fishing. Change the weigh of your rig, the fly your using, your leader or tippet, and the distance of your indicator.

If your not catching fish then change will help you catch fish. Most people dont like to change because it takes time but id rather take a few minutes to change my rig and catch fish than stay with what ive been using and not catch a thing.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Being new to fly fishing I'm learning all that I can in short order. It's a passion that goes with the sport. It seems that those already involved in fly fishing have a passion to introduce it and teach others. My advice would be to listen to those that have gone before us. They provide a wealth of knowledge on the internet, in books, at fly fishing clubs, casting and fly tying classes. I just wish that I would have started sooner, but I already have made many friends that have done it forever.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

A agree with Davo, find a mentor! Like Mark is always advising new members, try and find a TU Chapter or other fishing club in your area. Someone more experienced will help your learning curve tremendously.

Larry