The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default This is Lifelong Education

I just answered a question posed in another thread regarding the best advise for a beginner.

After awhile it dawned on me that fly fishing is not a hobby or a sport. It is an education. It requires dedication, a thirst for knowledge, patience, and perhaps most importantly either a pre existing love for nature or the willingness to learn as much about the riparian environment as possible.

Members here have expressed their love for birding, their study of aquatic entomology, love for paleontology (fossil hunting) I even enjoy plant identification. That is why I continue to post to this forum and to develop relationships with members, albeit on line friendships I believe some of us will fish Alaska together one day.
noreaster likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This is Lifelong Education

Sweet post!

I have always thought of fly fishing as an addiction rather than a hobby or a sport
Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Sweet post!

I have always thought of fly fishing as an addiction rather than a hobby or a sport
I have always viewed it as a passion, But addiction or obsession fits too!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I have always viewed it as a passion, But addiction or obsession fits too!!!

Well I was being a bit of a smart *** with the addiction thing. I too believe passion best describes it for me as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Well I was being a bit of a smart *** with the addiction thing. I too believe passion best describes it for me as well.
I was being a wisenhymer too!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-26-2009, 05:40 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I just answered a question posed in another thread regarding the best advise for a beginner.

After awhile it dawned on me that fly fishing is not a hobby or a sport. It is an education. It requires dedication, a thirst for knowledge, patience, and perhaps most importantly either a pre existing love for nature or the willingness to learn as much about the riparian environment as possible.

Members here have expressed their love for birding, their study of aquatic entomology, love for paleontology (fossil hunting) I even enjoy plant identification. That is why I continue to post to this forum and to develop relationships with members, albeit on line friendships I believe some of us will fish Alaska together one day.
True'er words have seldom been said.
Bear
Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: I couldn't agree more. I've been fly fishing since the early 80's and as time goes on I realize how little I really know. There is just so much information to learn one person will never absorb it all, but I think that is what I like about it. I have always enjoyed learning new things. Just this past Friday Davo was teaching me the finer points of rowing a drift boat so it stays in the correct position from shore at all times and some techniques on retrieving streamers (I don't throw streamers much at least not since I left AK). Plus I'm always buying some book or DVD on fly fishing or tying.

Larry
Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My wife would say all of those fit; addiction, obsession, passion. I'd agree. Just cause that's what I do if she says something like that, lol.
Well said by everyone above about a lifelong education. A lot to learn late in life. Wish I would have started early.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I've fished since I was a kid. Fly fishing off and on. Now that I have a son that's interested in fly fishing, getting way deep into it is very easy. It IS much more than fishing. It's time well spent with my son, teaching him the things I learned on my own, growing up. I still have a lot to learn. He makes the learning more fun. There's something magical about being outdoors enjoying this with my son.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I begin ff'ing 30 years ago, and just when I thought I knew it all, bamboo
entered my life! I haven't even touched saltwater ff'ing yet, steelhead, etc.
There are small Pennsylvania streams to explore, and I'd like to get down to
some streams in Virginia as well. I fished a ff'ing only stream for the first time
this past March, and met more fly anglers than in the past 30 years combined!
The more I look, the more I realize that life's too short. I'll try to make the most of it, however .

*I just ordered Casting a Spell from Amazon tonight, so that'll lead
me in all sorts of new directions.....
horseman_37601 likes this.