The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Comments please on this rod brand

Friends,

I have been doing some research on spey rods recently. I am planning on selling my 9' 9wt Scott rod & reel combo to a friend & purchasing the spey rod I feel is best for me & the fish I plan on targeting in my home waters in Michigan. I was reviewing some information & came across Albright rods & I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this brand.

- Are they good rods?
- I see they are selling them at reduced prices on their website without the middle man (flyshop), has anyone purchased one of their rods?
- What do you think of their warranty ? Good or bad?
- What about the reels they offer?
- What about their warranty?

Hey just so everyone knows I'm really not picking on them per say I am curious more than anything. If I put out money for a product I want to know that it will preform for me for a long time. I've always been willing to pay a bit more $$$ to get a good/great product, especially one with a lifetime warranty, which all my current equipment has now. If I get a good report from someone who owns one, or if I knew of anyone who had one of their products I would ask them as well, but I do not. Like I said I am very curious. I'm sure my research will continue for a while.

Thanks for the feedback,

Tie One On-----------------------<*))))))))><
Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Comments please on this rod brand

I have an A5 9' 4 wt. I like it pretty well. It casts nicely with a med/fast action. The rod bends more in the middle, with a stiffer tip than my Sage Launch or TFO Finesse. Feeling a light take is not a problem. The rod is well made and lightweight. The warranty is not very good, IMO (1 yr). They do say on their site you can get the rods repaired for a fee, once the warranty has expired. Given that other manufacturers charge a fee for warranty; this may not be a real issue. I would recommend the A5 series. For the money they're a very nice rod. If they made a 2 wt A5 I'd buy one to check out. Since they don't, I'm looking at other rods. As to any spey rods, I have no experience.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

tie one on: Dorian uses an Albright rod for quite awhile and has posted positive results. If he doesn't see your post be sure to PM him.

Larry
Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I do have a 5 wt. 9ft. A-5 and like it very much. It is a med fast action rod. Faster than my Avid, slower than my Flight. I am happy with the finish and everything else about the rod. I think A-5's are one of the best "bang for your buck" rod deals out there.

I have used the warranty for a broken tip and had no issues. They did not charge me anything and shipped me a broken tip. Wait.....I had to pay to ship them the broken tip first, and then they sent me one free of charge if I am remembering correctly.

As far as the reels go, in my opinion, I don't like them at all. I have a cheap Topwater reel and also a nicer Bugati reel. I replaced them both the first chance I had. The Topwater didn't have enough drag on it to even keep a rod slightly bent with a fly attached near the handle for walking purposes. It was super annoying. The Bugati was better, but I just never liked it. It has a cheap feel to it and again, I didn't like the drag.

Hope some of this is helpful to you!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

You really want to get feedback specifically on the two handers... folks experience with the one handers is an incomplete picture at best IMO. Try here: Speypages

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Made in china if i remember corectly...not sure if that matters to you though
Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

With today's technology I'm willing to bet the rods are okay. My guess is that Albright is coming out with a new line, and therefore are reducing the price of their old one.

I bought an Echo Spey rod and love it. (The rod cost less than $300.00.)

Randy
Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
Friends,

I have been doing some research on spey rods recently. I am planning on selling my 9' 9wt Scott rod & reel combo to a friend & purchasing the spey rod I feel is best for me & the fish I plan on targeting in my home waters in Michigan. I was reviewing some information & came across Albright rods & I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this brand.

- Are they good rods?
)><
The one handed rods range from good to exceptional. The reels are sub par. The two handed rods are subpar as well. As far as warranty, you cannot do better than TFO.They dont even ask for a warranty card and will send you a new rod the next day for $25. Here is still shrik wrapped tfo professional spey rod, with a terry hayden saltwater reel and backingand flyline for less than half retail. That reel will withstand a tuna, a 50 pound salmon will be like a bunny rabbit for it!

over half off still shrinkwrapped tfo spey combo!! - FAOL BB
Tfo professional 10 weight 15 foot spey rod (this is the *professional* series!), retails $300 still shrinkwrapped
TFO tery hayden 3 reel. retails $450.
gelspun backing on reel (retails $30)
rio grandspey 9/10 line, retails $75.

Total retail $855, will sell for $425 including shipping to lower 48 <end quote>

Even tho I have found albright two handers to be real dogs, please dont let that discourage you from looking at albright. The XX is a rod that casts with the best of the but is as cheap as TFO's
Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
Made in china if i remember corectly...not sure if that matters to you though

It is surprising how may $900 rods are made in china/south korea. Loop, Hardy. I was told by CND that their rods were made in Japan, but have found out that their blanks are made in china and the blanks are just decorated in Japan. CND's are as expensive as Sage's top of the line. Loops top of the line is more expensive, as is Hardy's made in third country's
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tie one on,

You are getting good feed back on the Albright one handed rods but I don't think that tells you anything about their Spey rods. Since you are looking at overseas rods, the Beulah Switch rod is popular on the West coast. I have not seen or cast one.

Are you thinking a full sized Spey rod or will a switch rod fit your needs? You might want to get Rio's Modern Spey Casting set of DVDs. There are 4 hours of information. I think you will learn a lot from these DVDs. It is not cheap at $50.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Rio's Modern Spey Casting Dvd
Item # KD007

Rio's MODERN SPEY CASTING is the most comprehensive film on spey casting techniques. Triple disc DVD stars George Cook, Simon Gawesworth, Mike McCune, Scott O'Donnell, Dana Sturn and Ed Ward. Covers 15+ different casting techniques in extreme detail, along with basic principles, shooting line, handling sinking lines, casting in tight situations & more. 4-HRS OF INSTRUCTION. Triple disc DVD

Beulah Switch Rod
Click the image to open in full size.