The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishinado View Post
Your rod sections should never be so tight that you need a gorilla grip to get it apart.
Sometimes stuff happens. Even with paraffin my friends BIIx didn't want to come apart easily when he dropped it off of the roof of his car. It landed on the butt cap! It took some doing to get that thing apart for sure.
Also it seems temperature changes can affect how tight the rod sections grip.
Despite our best efforts it seems that during the course of a fishing year someones rod doesn't want to come easily apart.
When that happens two folks with hands spread apart so each person has a grip on both sections the task is quite easy... easy that is unless the rod has been dropped butt first!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wax every time on my spey rod. I've also had the sections stick like glue when it gets colder. With the wax however, if you hold the ferrule in your hand tightly for less than a minute, the warmth from your hand will soften the wax and it comes apart easily. One way to get sections apart that are giving you a hard time is to put the rod behind you, right behind your knees. Using your hands against your knees, push your legs apart. It keeps you from pulling the sections in two different directions, which can damage the end of a ferrule. It also keeps the release from causing you to whip the ends in opposite directions at a great speed removing your pals eye.
fuzzback likes this.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a 1994 Orvis PM 10 4pc 5wt that sometimes gives me trouble between section one (butt) and two. I found that sticking it under water, (cold water in the creek) loosened the ferrule and it will come apart effortlessly. Don't know why it works, it just does.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen many caddis patterns on the forum but I don't remember seeing a stone boxed one...so here's how to tie one easily.Tie a body with knitting wool and make a black head.Take your hook with pliers put some drops of superglue on the body and plunge it into a little box full of grit.Let it dry and finish you head with black hare dubbing or a peacock herl...that's all folks
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Outstanding JP!!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: So I finally get to see your famous stone boxed caddis pattern, what a great idea! Very well done.

Larry
Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Well I finally got my Peak Vise......WOW I love it......but on the material clip side...it was a bit far from the hook for my taste....so I found one of those metal paper clips....( the ones for holding a few sheets....) had to bend the arms a bit to stretch the spring...( Peak gives you two springs....I just used the other one ) then on each side of the wire arm I wound some yarn, held in position by super glue....works great !!!
Plus it's removable....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

JP, very nice trick on your caddis...

Dan
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer_neal View Post
Well I finally got my Peak Vise......WOW I love it......but on the material clip side...it was a bit far from the hook for my taste....so I found one of those metal paper clips....( the ones for holding a few sheets....) had to bend the arms a bit to stretch the spring...( Peak gives you two springs....I just used the other one ) then on each side of the wire arm I wound some yarn, held in position by super glue....works great !!!
Plus it's removable....
Neal: Very cool idea, that is a real improvement!

Larry
Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Here is a link to an article in Hatches by Mike Schmidt on how to tie a head on a wet fly that may be those of you that struggle with getting a perfectly shaped head.
Wet Fly Heads by Mike Schmidt | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Larry