The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Got a call from a friend the other day telling me he had boken the tip guide of his rod and wanted to change it.To remove the broken one just heat it up with a lighter but not too much it may damage the graphite and pull it with pliers or a cloth not to burn your fingersthen you can put a new one....
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
trick of the week:improve the grip of your rod handle.Wrap your handle with autoadhesive strapping used by sportsmen,I find three advantages to this:1 you improve the grip2 you can increase the diameter of the handle with several layers3 you protect the cork.I 've been doing that for years and I appreciate it.
My son found a new material on the net...we tested it in Austria...good stuff!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: Thanks for the tip, that camo wrap looks like a cool idea!

Larry
Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

That camoform stuff is just an expensive version of what we used to call vet wrap and is now called self adhesive bandage.

You can buy tan colored version at any drug store for a fraction of the cost of camoform, or if you go to a vet supply or a feed store that carries pet supplies you can buy it for even cheaper and in all kinds of colors like hunter orange, blue, purple, red, yellow, etc...

It's used for holding bandages in place where there is lots of movement like an animals leg.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Here's one for our beginning fly tiers; this will be most applicable for those making dry flies, streamers, and wets. As you build your fly starting at the tail fibers, put a small drop of cement on every stage of your tie. This is very important for your wings.

Doing this will slow down your fly tying but having to clip off a fly and tie on a new one because the first came apart will slow down your fishing. Think about being in the middle of a stretch with the water boiling and you have hardly anything left on the hook and was wondering why the fly didn't look right out there.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a tip from Hatches Magazine, on how to get the rubber legs out of the way to tie off the thread. Kind of a take off to JP's earlier ball point pen idea for getting hackle out of the way.
Tying Tips: Working with Rubber Legs | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Larry
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a reply I posted for Jimmie about eyes...reposted it here for I thought it might be interesting for streamers fans.
Jimmie here are some explainations...and pics
Just find a copper or iron wire which is nearly the same diameter of the plastic bead hole...put some superglue...when it's dry cut the wire on each side with pliers.
You can also stick plastic beads on an articulated head (see pics) the way the streamer swims is different when you pull and stop...and it's a bit heavier
hope it can help...pics are from an article I wrote in january 1991it makes me feel my age
Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

JP: That is a pretty good trick! Thanks for sharing.

Larry
Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Seen many questions about indicators...so although in never use one here's a little trick used by a friend of mine...
make a double loop (see pic) on your leader or tippet.Then put a piece of orange or fluo green vitafloss( you can put a longer one and add some floatant if you like)....quick an'easy...
ps: I finally convinced this friend...fishing on sight is far more exciting
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I cant believe I haven't seen this thread earlier. This has been great. Thanks so much JP!....and everyone else who has added their tips.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...