The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Here's a visual background apparatus for my vise. It's made from wire (splices cables together out doors; will not rust) wrapped around the vise stem 5 1/2 times; A clip; 1/4" bolt/nut/washers; construction paper (pale green).

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Some homemade tying tools. I've posted some of these before. Ideas that I've gotten from my tying mentor, and members here.

First below. A beeswax bead pick-up/ hold:

Second below. A dubbing loop spinner made by cutting 1/4 of the circle out of a burlap stainless needle.

Third below. A dubbing picker made out of a wooden spoon with velcro loops epoxyed to it:

Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I've got two. The first one is for tying, though most of you more experienced tyers may know this one already. You just finished a fly and want to put a little zap-a-gap or whatever on your whip finish. Instead of putting a toothpick or a stripped hackle stem in the hookeye to keep it clear, take the fly and tip it back in your vise (or in your hand) so that the eye is pointed at the ceiling at about a 45 degree angle, then apply the cement. Any excess runs back into the head of the fly, keeping the eye clear and adding some duraility to your fly.

This one's for fishing. When fishing dries at longer distances, picking up your line for a new cast sometimes requires you to strip it in several times before the next cast. Reduce this to a minimum by applying chapstick to the leader; I usually do the whole leader, leaving the tippet alone. The leader won't sink even if you leave it out there for several minutes, allowing you to pick it up from much further away. Note: I use chapstick because I always have the stuff handy, but I've also used mucillin (even aquel floatant) and it works just as well if not better. Also, when using chapstick I can accomplish two functions simultaneously. I can apply new protection to my lips and floatant to my leader at the same time.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed the thread Seth...great to see it starting again...thanks to Jimmie and rangerrich99
Old 12-04-2010, 01:22 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

Source for SMALL / Thin guage wire .. an idea

Hi to all ....

Found a source for some very small thin guage copper wire to use on flies ...

I bet you have this around the house in a "junke" box just like I do ...

The ever useful WALL WART power supply for small electronics or for recharging devices. You know the one ... plugs into the wall for AC .. get DC out the other side for the device.

I bet you have a few of these in a drawer or somewhere that the device went South on you or you have no idea what it goes to anymore.

Well, the DC side has some very thin stranded wire in that long cable.
With the Wall Wart unplugged ... cut the cable off at the transformer part and cut the "plug" off the other end.

Cut into manageable lengths if you like and strip the insulation off.

There you go .. nice shiny copper wire waiting to aid you tying addiction.

Best regards,

Gordon in NC
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

How to renew a roda friend of mine wanted to sell one of his rods but there were little scratches on it.....he brought it to me,I used a scratches remover for cars with a piece of cotton wool then whiped it with a soft duster...the result is excellent.and the rod looks like new
Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Here is a good tip for those who might of lost some dexterity in your fingers and have difficult time tying some knots or for those who change flies constantly. I have found this to be very useful, especially when changing flies continuously, saves lots of knot tying and more fishing time, (can’t catch fish unless your line is in the water J) I have also found they can actually help the presentation of the fly by giving a little more life to the fly. They come in 3 sizes, the small ones being ideal for dries

“Snap Hooks” Click Here

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Sorry for double post but I just thought of one more.

When rigging or assembling your rod, drop your hat on the ground and place the butt end in your hat, this will prevent your butt end from getting dings and dents or any other kind of damage done.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Last edited by popperfly; 05-17-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

First things first, epic thread! So many useful and more importantly thrifty post.

I have 2 tips, first is the grass leader. Take a long piece of mono, 5-6 yards should do the trick. Take one end and tie a perfection loop for easy connection to the fly line. Go 4-5' down and cut it then blood knot it back together and trim tags, BUT LEAVE a half in tag on both tags. Repeat every 6-10" till you get roughly a 9' leaders and add a yarn "fly". This is cheap and gets you good at blood knots quick while during practice on grass adds a little tension to help load the rod a little more like water

No. 2, for those that use yarn indicators when nymphing. I have been know to use some chapstick and a leaf from a tree on the river as an indy. I use back to back uni knots pulled tight over the stem then chapstick on the leaf bottom and top to help it float longer and higher. Since I go through 3-4 leaves in a day depending on what is right by where I'm fishing I always have a fresh and local leaf that never looks out of place in the water I'm on.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Left Over Backing;

Answered this on a thread by Caseywise and thought to stick it here.

Eventually you will end up with a bunch of spools of backing that you did not use all of it. However you may not know how much is on the spools. What to do with this?

For light tackle reels / fish up to 7 pound, don't be afraid to blood knot the leftover backing together to fill the arbor of a reel & to provide some running room for the unexpected big one. It should go without saying that when you see the backing go through the guides you should be thinking of your next move but with good knots and the tags trimmed close the backing is stronger than your leader or at least it should be.............

No worries about this, I've been getting away with it for over 30 years. Remember I said light tackle reels and fish, if you're gonna do this on your salmon reels you better be good with a fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

First of all, great thread that I may have to favorite. Here are a couple that I have picked up:

First, EVERY fisherman should learn, know and love this trick. I learned it from Joe Humphreys years ago, but these guys give a great demonstration. I fish with barbless hooks, but sometimes people you are with, don't. Sorry to those of you that already know this one:

Second, tying droppers on can sometimes require great dexterity. Next time, take the piece of monofilament you plan to tie onto the bend of your hook and cross the line making a small loop of about 1 inch, near the top. Then twist the loop between your forefinger and thumb in one hand so that it makes about five or so twists. Take the tag end and run it through the little loop at the top of the twists. Take the fly already on your leader and put the hook through the loop you made at the top of the twist right on the bend of the hook. Pull the tag end to tighten the knot. When I first started tying on droppers, I used to get frustrated trying to tie the bit of tippet onto the hook. I saw this done and I never had a problem or hassle again.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Here's one I just figured out the other night, but many of you probably already knew this one.

If you want to use some kind of head cement when finishing your fly, but you're having trouble with getting glue in the hookeye, try applying some cement to the thread before whipfinishing.

I usually apply a thin coat to the thread (approx. 1/2 inch in length for most flies I tie, less if the fly is pretty small) then do a couple three wraps, then whip finish. This keeps cement from getting into the hookeye, gives a nice clean head to the fly, and I don't have to clear the eye later.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark