The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Needed to tie some BS special...ordered black foam twice...but everytime it was too thin....used a piece of mouse carpet foamIt's really perfect
pic...the mouse carpet foam is on top...so you see it's thicker

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and baseman1 like this.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a tip from me, and I know this may be a little confusing. The situation here: you are trying to tie a perfection loop or some other loop knot, with no fly through the loop. That is to say, you are simply making a loop on the end of your line for a loop to loop connection or something else.

This can be a little tricky, as sometimes the loop comes out too big or too small when you cinch everything down. I use one of these (or you can use a small carabiner) to tie the knot onto, cinch it tight, then open the clasp and slide it out. This way, you get the tightest knot possible, and they are always the same size. I keep the clasp attached to a lanyard and you can have it around your neck or belt loop to hold other things as well.

You can also use the clasp to tighten any knots on flies without pinching them and ruining their delicate materials. Just hold the line, attach the hook curve to the clasp loop, and pull.
Hardyreels, jpbfly and jcw355 like this.

Last edited by nick k; 05-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Tip for photographing flies closeup:

Use a magnifying glass, or focus carefully and enlarge/crop the pic.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I'm a reel guy, so this trick might not apply to everyone. But for us reel guys, I'm sure we all once came upon a reel we wanted, but had a damaged foot causing you to avoid it's purchase. Others may have dropped a favorite.

Here is a way around that situation. (fewpics)

Find a piece of pipe.... Copper / brass, whatever you like. Cut a slice, and shape it to an existing reels foot profile you like.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

A few hand tools, and a hour or so is all that's needed. Feel free to post any redneck jokes, I promise that I will appreciate the humor.

Last edited by charged; 05-03-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

When you get new hooks, save the small plastic bags they come in. Most times the bags are made of thick stiff plastic, and this material makes excellent wing material for fly tying.

To make all the crab/crayfish eyes you will ever need, buy a cheap spool of 40lb tippet or line. Cut off a section of about 3 inches, then light one end on fire while holding it vertical. The tip will keep burning, form a ball, and eventually keep crumbling down and melting to form a bigger ball. Blow the flame out when the ball is large enough, cut off most of the excell line, and you will have a great crustacean eye. The tip eyeball will already be black from the burning, but make it darker with a sharpie if you need to.
jpbfly likes this.

Last edited by nick k; 05-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I fish a lot of salt water but this works just as well on lakes and streams. It is amazing to see so many people lay the rod and the reel down on the sand or on the rocks because they can't find any soft grass or weeds to protect the reels finish and to keep grit out of the reel.

The solution is always near by, it is the hat on your head, lay the hat on the ground and the reel in the hat. The first time someone showed me this, I did the LOL thing. Like so many things that you see for the first time in fly fishing, it makes you wonder why didn't I think of that.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I always keep a few old wine corks around my tying bench for epoxy flies. I save applying epoxy for the last step, tie up several, mix epoxy and the let them dry while on wine corks. They're cheap (depending on the bottle!) and handy!

I've also seen some people use corks for poppers, that's one I need to try soon!
jpbfly likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I have found that a small piece of foam can be cut and tied on any dry (I like a big Caddis the best) and it makes a great top water panfish bug!

Sili legs will make a sponge spider, but I have better success with the hackle. Quick and easy to tie ....... and you can use up all your old dry flies?
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

My lower back is not what it used to be and I often struggled getting my feet into wading boots. While cleaning out apartment of a elderly friend who had moved to a nursing home I discovered a home-made shoe horn fashioned for her late husband.

Its a 3 foot long piece of aluminium, about 3/16th" thick and 11/2" wide. It has a slight bend running the length. The top is wrapped in foam and secured with duct tape. This thing was a god send... I can stand upright, slip it into by boot, and my foot slides right in with no hassle...

I've since discovered that really long, stainless steel shoehorns are available online...
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I have found that a small piece of foam can be cut and tied on any dry (I like a big Caddis the best) and it makes a great top water panfish bug!
I tie a caddis imitiation with a piece of foam for the wing/head. I don't know how sophisticated trout would treat it, but it catches stockers and bluegills with ease. Great floatation, so it makes a great indicator.
jpbfly likes this.