The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree200Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Little tricks to share

I wanted to bring this topic back up as I've read this entire thread and I found some great new tips that I've already used.

Hopefully others can add more or can find this thread useful.

2 of my favorite tips that wowed my buddy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Trick of the week.
Two pieces or the tip of your rod are stuck when you want to put it in your boot:hold it firmly behind your knees like on the photo and open your legs,it usually works.If you use rubber washing up gloves(or stripes of gloves or big rubber bands) it'll be easier and you won't risk to break your rod.Click the image to open in full size.
He almosted shredded his hands from trying to pull apart his rod. I told him to try this and he gives me this weird look. So I go to show him and though I've never done it before and I look weird, it worked like a charm. I've already done it twice on his fly rod. And both times was perfect!

Another tip that I just used..Works great as long as you didn't tug on the line before you started stripping it slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
dave whitlock taught me this 1, so i don't want to take credit:

it's sort of hard to explain without demonstrating though. say you're casting against a bank or up to a bush or tree that is emerging from or overhanging the water and you overshoot a bit and your fly hangs a limb, but the line doesn't wrap around it a bunch of times...it's pretty much just dangling there. this happens quite a bit actually...especially when casting poppers, dries, hoppers, etc. near the bank.

do not yank! relax, and retrieve the fly line as slowly as possible until the fly simply scoots over the limb and plops into the water below. it works about 9 out of 10 times. oh...and be ready for a strike. it's a very realistic presentation when imitating terrestrials!
jpbfly and kingofamberley like this.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

I just thought of this, should work pretty good. For rods without alignment marks, you can put the rod together and then mark each piece with some nail polish. This will give you some nice marks to reference when putting your rod together.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen the thread about grease or degrease your leader tippet....I never grease and on the contrary I sometimes use this trick when I fish on small dries in a reservoir...I take a little mud from the bank between my thumb and my forefinger and run my tippet through it several times....
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
That tip reminded me of one of the largest (and funnest) browns I have ever caught on a little spring creek. The creek was small enough that I came across a spot that was overgrown on both sides by willow trees and they actually formed a complete arch over the water. It created a serene little corridor that completely ruled out a normal cast, a side arm cast or a roll cast. It just looked so darn fishy, that I had to get a presentation on it.

I figured about how much line I would need and stripped it off the reel. I coiled (made little "s" coils) in my left hand with the fly dangling about six inches out of the back of my clenched fist. I pulled that rod back to what I estimated to be the right poundage and flung the fly using a bow and arrow cast.

That humpy lit on the water ever so softly and floated for about 0.1 seconds before a 17"+ brown came shooting off the bottom of the river bed, hit that fly at full speed and came completely out of the water as it swallowed the humpy.

That is where my perfectly devised plan came to an end. I had forgot to plan out my hook set. I jerked my rod tip strait up and caught about four branches. Thankfully, the fish did not get loose while I extracted my rod tip from the willow arch.
I would've jumped into the creek and chase that brown with a net.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Great thread everyone !! Some of the tips/tricks I use were already mention, some I didn't think of, so thanks !

I still have a small trick to add. Prior to getting to the water, put your rod together, make sure the pieces are aligned, then get some white out and mark a dot at the end of each piece where the pieces connect. So whenever you put your rod together at the water, just put the pieces together with the dots aligned and you don't have to guess if your pieces are on straight.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

A tip from Tom Rosenbauer that I saw on the Orvis website a while back: At home, when your roll of toilet paper runs low but before it runs out, flatten it and put it in a zip-lock baggie. Put the baggie in a pocket of your vest or pack. It takes up almost no room, and you'll be prepared in case nature calls when you're outdoors.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:49 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

A tip for tying (borrowed from Norm @ Norvise ).

Get a rubber gasket " cheerio " , just big enough to slide over the tube of you bobbin when tying hackles. When time to whip finish a parachute fly or hold a soft hackle back. Slide the cheerio up over that hacke, whip finish, slide cheerio back down, cut thread.
jpbfly and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ever got the hackle on a small dry fly just a little too close to the eye and had a hard time whip finishing without getting the fibers into the knot?

A business card or match book will help. Cut a business card in half - about 1/2" from the outside edge poke a hole through with your dubbing needle and kinda wiggle it around to enlarge the hole so a hook eye will fit through it. Now 'carefully' cut a slice from the edge of the card to the hole.

You have made a free hackle guard and I shouldn't have to tell you how to use that.
jpbfly, comeonavs and ia_trouter like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
A tip from Tom Rosenbauer that I saw on the Orvis website a while back: At home, when your roll of toilet paper runs low but before it runs out, flatten it and put it in a zip-lock baggie. Put the baggie in a pocket of your vest or pack. It takes up almost no room, and you'll be prepared in case nature calls when you're outdoors.
Best post of the week!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post
Great thread everyone !! Some of the tips/tricks I use were already mention, some I didn't think of, so thanks !

I still have a small trick to add. Prior to getting to the water, put your rod together, make sure the pieces are aligned, then get some white out and mark a dot at the end of each piece where the pieces connect. So whenever you put your rod together at the water, just put the pieces together with the dots aligned and you don't have to guess if your pieces are on straight.
My tfo's and redingtons came with dots. I would have thought everyone already did that from where they were made.