The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Great thread! I need to set aside some time and read it all!
I will add a trick that my hardcore steelhead buddy taught me. When you get a big hot fish that's hard to control, stick your rod under water... Like way under water. That fish will start swimming upstream every single time. I can't say for sure why it works but my theory is your line bellies below the fish in the current and the fish is trying to swim away from the danger. It works so well, I do it every single time now unless there's something in the river I want to avoid.
The problem can be that fish come to leader so quickly, they are very green and may explode off requiring a repeat.
But I have had many steelhead to hand in less than 2 minutes this way. The added benefit is the fish is very fresh and usually needs no reviving.
It also is great when you cannot chase a fish or are anchored in a drift boat.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Couple of random tips:

-When starting out, getting hooked on random objects, etc., can be frustrating. Always take the time to manually unwrap or untangle the line. Those few loose wraps around that branch will suddenly become an impenetrable birds nest of a knot if you try to just pull it out. If just your tippet knots up, know when to just cut it off and replace it. Retying a tippet on your line takes thirty seconds. Untangling a mess can take... well, an eternity (or so it feels like!)

-Check your tippet and leader for knots often. I check mine every dozen or so casts, and every time I am holding my fly looking for a fish. If you find a wind knot, replace it immediately. Losing a fish to a wind knot is the pits.

-Heat damages nylon monofilament (leaders/tippet). When straightening a leader, don't hold it too tightly or you will lower it's breaking strength dramatically. Stretching it is better than using one of those leather "straighteners" (aka leader destroyers). Always lubricate your knots as well. I didn't know this starting out, and it was one of those "duh" moments. If you are tying leaders using bloodknots, keep a glass of water to dunk the knot into and swirl before cinching it down.
Hardyreels and jpbfly like this.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

When getting reels ready for the next outing, I fold a very small piece of Scotch tape over the end of the tippet. Makes it very easy to find the end when rigging up.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
When getting reels ready for the next outing, I fold a very small piece of Scotch tape over the end of the tippet. Makes it very easy to find the end when rigging up.
Just put a small circle (about dime size or smaller) of adhesive backed velcro on the back of your reel. Then when you unstring your rod, wrap the end of the tippet around / between the mating pieces of velcro. The velcro stays in place on your reel permanently and is ready to hold your tippet whenever you unstring your rod. I actually add a small dab of cement in the center between the mating velcro pieces -- leave the edges free -- which helps prevent loosing the top piece of velcro.
jpbfly and bloomagoo like this.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM

jsxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutjsxtreme has a spectacular aura about

Dont know if its been mentioned or not yet, but if your rod tends to stick together badly when it comes time to take it apart, rub the male end in your hair a little before you assemble it. The natural oil in your hair will make it easier to take apart.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 PM

wyatt96 is on a distinguished road

Will this make it easier for the rod to come apart while casting?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
Dont know if its been mentioned or not yet, but if your rod tends to stick together badly when it comes time to take it apart, rub the male end in your hair a little before you assemble it. The natural oil in your hair will make it easier to take apart.
I would be careful, the oils may damage the rod finish.

Dave
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM

jsxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutjsxtreme has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt96 View Post
Will this make it easier for the rod to come apart while casting?
Never has for me. I guess it depends how long it's been since your last shower. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I would be careful, the oils may damage the rod finish.

Dave
Never has caused an issue for me that I know of, but I fish with my rods. They get dragged through trees and across rocks. They lay in rivers, on rocks and docks. They dont keep that nice finish forever.

If anything ruins the finish in that area, it's the constant breaking them down and putting them together.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

I've lost more than one fly by dropping it in the grass (my biggest challenge is threading the eye of a small fly).

I stopped at Radio Shack and bought 3 magnets......about the size of a domino and attached them together After dropping a fly, just wave the magnet over the area and if you get within 6 inches of that fly, it's yours!!!

They cost me about $10 and has saved me many a $2 fly.

Joe
jpbfly likes this.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I recently bought a new box for my prescription meds at a " big box " store's pharmacy, and grabbed an extra. Nice, strong, nylon box. They are about 2 1/2" x 5"' and about 3/4" deep, have 14 compartments, and sell for under a buck. Each little compartment has it's own lid, and is perfect for carrying dry flies. Fits easily in a small pocket, vest or chest pack, and keeps the flies from getting crushed.
They can also be used at the tying bench for sorting and holding hooks, beads, etc.
jpbfly and mridenour like this.