The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 12:30 PM

jeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nice
Default Re: Little tricks to share

This redneck engineering is from over twenty years ago. I realize there are cool products available today. As a matter of fact they stole my idea.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I was fishing an ice out and was freezing cold. That nigh at camp huddled around the heat blaster I invented the very first dropper rig holders.

Get a 12-pack your favorite bottled beverage. Remove the corrugated bottle slats.
Click the image to open in full size.

Separate and V notch the slat.

Hook fly to bottom of V and wrap until dropper fly hook positions on slat. Hook dropper. Hooking into corrugation, not through slat is best. Keeps another rig from snagging.

I usually put the fly with the bigger tail in the V notch. Or not.

Stack five or so together and stick them in your pocket. I wrap them together sometimes. Ten will fit vertically in a 5" sq disposable storage bowl and they fit perfectly in a pontoon, float tube pocket.

Amaze your fellow toon's by flicking one of these dropper rigs across the lake water to them like a flicking playing cards.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

The little packets of desiccant (drying powder) that come with pills are great to put in hook containers or fly boxes. They help reduce oxidation of hooks.
jpbfly and repperson29 like this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM

spm is on a distinguished road

Great thread!

Every year, everyone probably has one string of Christmas lights that no longer works. Don't throw it away. Inside is several years worth of copper wire for tying. I cut them into 6-8 inch lengths and strip all but the last bit of insulation to keep them in neat bundles.

spm
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
Great thread!

Every year, everyone probably has one string of Christmas lights that no longer works. Don't throw it away. Inside is several years worth of copper wire for tying. I cut them into 6-8 inch lengths and strip all but the last bit of insulation to keep them in neat bundles.

spm

Ha, I could keep all of us in copper wire for life! Between the Christmas lights and the thousands of feet of scrap electrical wire at work I would never run out.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 PM

cheesesteak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_eric View Post
so you take your fly like and bring it under the seat of your reel, at the bottom so it wraps between the reel and the reel seat, basically where your reel is attached. Then you bring the rest of the line up and put it in which ever eye it fits. This will allow you to be ready with out having to strip leader and line out. if you have a 9 foot rod and 9 foot leader you can keep it where the line is out. The when you get to the next spot pull the line from around the back of the reel and it should hang with the fly still in the eye, then with a little practices you should be able to give your rod a sharp rap and the fly with come out of the eye that its in and you are ready to go. Is that a little better explanation?
I am trying
Eric
Doesn't this put 2 little kinks in your butt section?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

in my experience.....no.

Tight lines,

Joe

I just reread what Eric wrote and I believe I read it wrong....upon reread, if the line is wrapped between the spool and reel seat, around the reel seat, there will probably be a kink as cheesesteak describes.
The first time I read Eric's post I pictured him doing what I do, which is wrap the line around the spool and then back up the rod to one of the guides.

Guess I need to read things a little carefully the first time.
siege likes this.

Last edited by oldnewguy; 05-11-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Doesn't this put 2 little kinks in your butt section?
I do this as well and it actually reduces leader kinks. Since the part of your leader that is folded over the reel seat is near the tip, it is more supple and doesn't kink. With the alternative (hooking fly on to hook keeper and reeling up slack), the heavy butt section of the leader gets bent at the tiptop and you do end up with a kink.
siege likes this.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM

cheesesteak is on a distinguished road

What if there were a butt cap/protector with a rounded groove incorporated, a "line keeper" if you will, that was perpindicular to the real. You could wrap your line backward into the groove and back up to one of the guides similar to how you would if you were wrapping around the spool. This would eliminate the kinks in the line and it wouldn't get caught up in the spool which has happened to me on several occasions. Would any of you use something like this? Below is a crude sketch/drawing to give you an idea of what I am thinking of. I could manufacture these as separate/add on pieces to fit any fly rod or for rod building to be installed permanantley. Please give me honest opinions.

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/cget...99384014518989
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Last edited by cheesesteak; 05-21-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: to add a better photo
Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 PM

wjl is on a distinguished road

Do not know if it was mentioned.
Measuring fish quick est. this was on 3 to 6 wt rods
Did some measuring on several rods most handles are 10 inches butt to where cork meets rod and to the hook keeper is 11. 9 foot rod is about 28" per section.
My 7' 6" rod reel section 24" , butt to end of cork 10 also.
On the Winston models the brand marking seemed to be at 16"
Was bored and I never seem to carry a measuring device and you always have a rod near by.
jpbfly and siege like this.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I carry a small strip of window putty tape in my vest pack. Add a small amount between your split shot and pinch to leader. No more slipping down the line.
jpbfly and siege like this.