The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM

retreive is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
On floatants:

a) Allow Gink or other gels to dry thoroughly before putting the fly on the water. This takes a few minutes, but it's worth it.

b) Try using Gink first, allowing it to dry, and then treat the fly with Frog's Fanny. The fly will float like a cork.

c) No need to buy Frog's Fanny at $5-6 a pop. You can buy 60-odd bottles' worth of the same stuff on eBay for $25, and just fill the Frog's Fanny bottles with the handy little brush.

On waders and bladders:

I fish mostly small and medium-sized streams and even on the biggest ones, like the Housatonic, I rarely wear my wader suspenders over the shoulders.

Rather, I snap them together across my chest. This accomplishes two things - I don't wade out too far, and it is much, much easier to get at things when nature calls.

On ticks and other evil buggers:

I've had Lyme twice and erlichiosis once and I don't want to repeat the experience.

I bought a treated shirt, which works quite well at keeping bugs away. It was also quite expensive.

I found an 12-oz. ounce spray bottle of the same stuff used on the shirts, permethrin, on Amazon for $15. I tested it out on a couple of untreated cotton and nylon shirts, and it works just fine. Smells a little funky, but it's not like I'm going out to dinner or anything.

Did you check for any side-effects? I dont mean to sound pessimistic just checking if it will affect my lungs which are already damaged in paint industry

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Amazing bunch.

Just confirms "Necessity knows no law"!!!! Right?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:29 AM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about

A follow-up to my previous post about adhesive measuring tapes:

I checked at the Michael's chain craft store, they didn't have it. They recommended I try a mom and pop place in Sparks called Hancock Fabrics. They didn't have it, recommended I check our newly opened Hobby Lobby.

I was in the vicinity of JoAnn Fabrics in Reno and checked with them. They also recommended Hobby Lobby. When I went to HL I plumb forgot to ask.

We went to Carson City last week and hit a couple of places in the little mall there. They also have a JoAnn's store. I asked them and bingo!

Peel N Stick Ruler Tape is the brand name. This product is marked in 16ths, perforated at every 12", and cost me about $4US for 10 yards of 1/2" width.

Moral of the story: don't ask the employees if they have this product, they may not be very knowledgeable, especially in a chain store with high turnover. Instead ask where their "notions aisle" is located. That's where this stuff will be.

That's also where the thimbles are, for any guitar players out there who want to try some of Bumblefoot's tricks
yikes and Joey Bagels like this.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM

patrick62 is on a distinguished road

I did not check for side-effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by retreive View Post
Did you check for any side-effects? I dont mean to sound pessimistic just checking if it will affect my lungs which are already damaged in paint industry

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Amazing bunch.

Just confirms "Necessity knows no law"!!!! Right?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Joey Bagels will become famous soon enough
Default Little tricks to share

Save $40-$50 when it's time to get another streamer box (like it was for me this week). Cliff's Bugger Barns and Bugger Beasts are great boxes. But for around $5, I made something very similar.
Plastic box from surplus store: $3.71.
6 mm foam from Michael's: $0.99.
Click the image to open in full size.
Cut foam to shape and cut slits using carpet knife and straight edge.
Hot glue into place (next one ill probably use spray adhesive for more complete coverage) and start loading it with flies and slapping stickers on it.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
You can also buy the exact same box as a Cliff's from Flambeau for about $8.00 except it's clear instead of yellow. I'll probably do that next time as well. I read about this idea on another forum and thought I'd try it and spread the good word. Seems to have worked out well. Enjoy!

ETA: leave it to a Wyoming guy! I see that Larry (mcnerney) has already done something similar a year ago. I'm a bit slow on the pickup.

Last edited by Joey Bagels; 09-01-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Wyoming guys rock
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the roughlil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the roughlil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the roughlil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the rough

If you run into Capt. Camo down there in Texas tell him Capt Bob says Hi!!!
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:36 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

About the time one of my good thick flannel shirts gets nice and soft, I get a rip in it, or it shrinks. My wife makes awesome reel bags out of them. Simple drawstring sacks with a cord lock. My kids are also kept supplied. One shirt makes a lot of bags. ( I'm a XXL kinda guy !)
jpbfly and cpiercem like this.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:54 PM

troutluvr is on a distinguished road

Coloring the parachutes on small dry flies with a marker will help you distinguish your fly from the natural foam on the water easily. It can often be tough to see a white parachute while fishing in the foam.
You can also use a "spotter fly" by tying on a bright or large pattern in front of a really small dry. Tips for seeing dry flies
cpiercem likes this.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:50 AM

il2windhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
The first crappie you catch,,,cut a length of tippet about the depth you believe the crappie to be,,,,attach a hook at one end and one of them plastic bobbers at the other. Hook the hook thur the big fin,,,turn him loose. Follow that bobber and fish around it. He will head right to his buddies and then you know where they are.

Might not be legal,,,in which case I just made this up.

That's wrong for so many reasons

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-12-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Removed an acronym, sorry
Old 10-12-2014, 02:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A simple solution to dropping tippet rings while tying them on is to store your tippet rings on a large safety pin. Tie the knot onto the ring while is STILL ON the safety pin. Then if you drop the ring, the safety pin is easy to find. After the knot is tied, remove the ring from the safety pin.

Easy, no?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-12-2014, 05:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Not only tippet rings can be lost while being tied on to a tippet. Small flies also disappear never to be seen again.

I use an electrical clip that I keep clipped to a zinger. When tying on a fly, I clip it by the hook bend and hold the electrical clip while tying on the fly. If I drop the clip before tying on the fly, it is easy to find. It is much easier to hold a small fly with the clip than with your fingers.

FISHN50, jpbfly, cpiercem and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy