The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Little tricks to share

I have not seen this one posted in this thread so here goes.

When nymphing let the current load the rod for you as opposed to trying to false cast a nymph rig.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I don't know about anyone else but almost every time I get over a limb it is on a back cast and wraps around several times.

Flyguy66 is right about getting a strike. In fact if I have an earthen cliff right next to the water, I will cast into it on purpose. No more natural presentation than a fly falling into the water.

This will also work if you are fishing boat houses. Cast so your fly hits the wall or deck and then falls into the water.

Frank
nzfly likes this.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

frank, when i was recently in florida i spent some time casting up into some mangroves and actually hit them a couple of times by misjudging the distance. this technique worked every time...even using a couple of fairly large saltwater flies (compared to trout or bass flies for freshwater) without weed guards. once you develop confidence in the technique, it allows you to cast a lot tighter to cover...much the same as a baitcaster or spincaster does when fishing the same type of structure with weedless or snag-resistant lures like soft plastics and spinner baits.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ken,

Yes, bouncing plastic off a boat house is common practice here in Florida.

Frank
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
dave whitlock taught me this 1, so i don't want to take credit:

it's sort of hard to explain without demonstrating though. say you're casting against a bank or up to a bush or tree that is emerging from or overhanging the water and you overshoot a bit and your fly hangs a limb, but the line doesn't wrap around it a bunch of times...it's pretty much just dangling there. this happens quite a bit actually...especially when casting poppers, dries, hoppers, etc. near the bank.

do not yank! relax, and retrieve the fly line as slowly as possible until the fly simply scoots over the limb and plops into the water below. it works about 9 out of 10 times. oh...and be ready for a strike. it's a very realistic presentation when imitating terrestrials!
That tip reminded me of one of the largest (and funnest) browns I have ever caught on a little spring creek. The creek was small enough that I came across a spot that was overgrown on both sides by willow trees and they actually formed a complete arch over the water. It created a serene little corridor that completely ruled out a normal cast, a side arm cast or a roll cast. It just looked so darn fishy, that I had to get a presentation on it.

I figured about how much line I would need and stripped it off the reel. I coiled (made little "s" coils) in my left hand with the fly dangling about six inches out of the back of my clenched fist. I pulled that rod back to what I estimated to be the right poundage and flung the fly using a bow and arrow cast.

That humpy lit on the water ever so softly and floated for about 0.1 seconds before a 17"+ brown came shooting off the bottom of the river bed, hit that fly at full speed and came completely out of the water as it swallowed the humpy.

That is where my perfectly devised plan came to an end. I had forgot to plan out my hook set. I jerked my rod tip strait up and caught about four branches. Thankfully, the fish did not get loose while I extracted my rod tip from the willow arch.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

At that point, I would have forgone the rod and let the line out by hand.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
frank, when i was recently in florida i spent some time casting up into some mangroves and actually hit them a couple of times by misjudging the distance. this technique worked every time...even using a couple of fairly large saltwater flies (compared to trout or bass flies for freshwater) without weed guards. once you develop confidence in the technique, it allows you to cast a lot tighter to cover...much the same as a baitcaster or spincaster does when fishing the same type of structure with weedless or snag-resistant lures like soft plastics and spinner baits.
Snook??
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

When fishing in faster water hi-sticking a dry in the pockets can yield great results.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Trick of the week.
Two pieces or the tip of your rod are stuck when you want to put it in your boot:hold it firmly behind your knees like on the photo and open your legs,it usually works.If you use rubber washing up gloves(or stripes of gloves or big rubber bands) it'll be easier and you won't risk to break your rod.Click the image to open in full size.
shug11 likes this.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymidges View Post
Here is a little trick I use. Get 1 or 2 wine corks and drill a hole through the center long ways. Run an old shoe string through the hole and tie a knot on one end and leave enough shoe string on the other end to make a loop. You slide the shoe string through a D ring on your vest and loop cork through the loop of the shoe sting so it hangs down.

You can put your flies into the cork to dry when you chang flies or if you are tying on a dropper fly you can hook your dropper fly in the cork while you tie on your tippet.

I will post some pix to show everyone. This is a very cheap trick!!!!!

Jr
Here are the pictures of the corks and guys and gals this so easy to make!!!!
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

"Catch and Release"