The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little tricks to share

photo:cell phone buoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c r o 2 113.jpg (71.6 KB, 309 views)
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Very nice buoy!! And very nice tips everyone. One I use that looks strange but cheap and can save you big bucks is to:

1. Get that old fly line with the weak spots that you don't hve the heart to throw out, a brass snap swivel, like bass fisherman use, a pair of scissors and a safety pin.

2. Cut a length of that fly line that is long enough to reach from the front of your vest to the pocket that you keep your fly box in with a little slack and add 4"-5" for knot materials.

3. Tie one end of the line to the snap-swivel, the other end to the safety pin.

4. Your done!!! Just pin the safety pin to the front of your vest and clip the snap-swivel to the lanyard hole located on your fly box. Now you have a lanyard that holds your fly box even in current.Plus, if you use a floating line for the lanyard you can easily see the boxe's location ,if the pin for some reason the pin comes undone, if it sinks. (The lanyard will float, showing the boxes location.)
Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This has become a really good resource thread. Thank you, Jean Paul.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Make sure when practicing catch and release to follow some basic fish proper handling methods.

1. Donít place the fish on the ground, rock, snow, etc. for a photo.
2. Make sure to wet hands before you pick up the fish.
3. Donít squeeze the fish or use a towel to hold it.
4. Return the fish back to the water as soon as possible.
5. Make sure to revive the fish prior to letting it out of your hand/s.

I am sure I am forgetting some so I will add more as I think of them.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Make sure when practicing catch and release to follow some basic fish proper handling methods.

1. Donít place the fish on the ground, rock, snow, etc. for a photo.
2. Make sure to wet hands before you pick up the fish.
3. Donít squeeze the fish or use a towel to hold it.
4. Return the fish back to the water as soon as possible.
5. Make sure to revive the fish prior to letting it out of your hand/s.

I am sure I am forgetting some so I will add more as I think of them.
Hold the fish belly up Sasha?a fish is far more quieter in that position.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

And should you catch a large bass or crappie (or VERY large 'gill) don't hold them in their upright swimming position by their lip only. It can break or strain their jaw. Hold them either vertically or horazontally with a supporting hand near the tail. And yes, thank you a lot.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't often take photos of fish, but when I do, I try to do it with the fish remaining in the water.
Granted, you don't get the full effect, but it's better for the fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

10 more items I posted this a while back, but it's worth posting again... It's from our CJTU website

10 STEPS TO SAVE A TROUT'S LIFE !!!

1) USE BARBLESS HOOKS--OR CRIMP THE BARB WITH A PAIR OF NEEDLE-NOSE PLIERS. THIS NOT ONLY MAKES HOOK REMOVAL EASIER BUT ALSO PREVENTS INTERNAL DAMAGE TO THE FISH. IF YOU USE BARBLESS HOOKS, THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL REALLY HURT THE FISH IS IF YOU HOOK IT IN THE GILLS. IF YOU KEEP A TIGHT LINE,YOU'LL LAND JUST AS MANY AS WITH BARBED HOOKS.

2) LAND THE FISH AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY DURING WARM WEATHER. THE SHORTER THE FIGHT THE BETTER CHANCE IT WILL SURVIVE.

3) USE A LANDING NET WITH SOFT COTTON MESHING - IT MINIMIZES DAMAGE TO THE FISH. COARSE NYLON MESH CAN CAUSE INJURY AND INFECTION. AVOID BEACHING THE FISH ON DRY LAND.

4) MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS AND NET ARE WET. THE MUCOUS COAT OF THE FISH PROTECTS IT FROM BACTERIAL AND FUNGAL INFECTIONS. THE LESS YOU DISTURB IT, THE BETTER.

5) TRY NOT TO LIFT THE TROUT ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE WATER. TURN THE TROUT UPSIDE-DOWN IN THE NET. THIS USUALLY PARALYZES HIM MAKING HOOK REMOVAL EASIER. HOLD THE FISH GENTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK, USING THE NET TO IMPROVE YOUR GRIP. DON'T SQUEEZE THE FISH, ESPECIALLY AROUND THE MID-SECTION.

6) USE FINGERTIPS, OR BETTER YET, MEDICAL FORCEPS TO GRASP THE HOOK CLOSE TO THE HOOK EYE. CAREFULLY EASE THE HOOK BACKWARDS UNTIL IT COMES LOOSE. AVOID CONTACT WITH THE GILLS. IF THE HOOK IS SWALLOWED TOO DEEPLY, JUST CUT THE LINE AS CLOSE TO THE MOUTH AS POSSIBLE. THE COST OF THE HOOK IS NOT WORTH THE TROUTS LIFE.

7) SLIDE THE TROUT OUT OF THE NET TO A POINT DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOU.
HOLD THE FISH FACING INTO THE CURRENT, SUPPORTING IT WITH BOTH HANDS--ONE BENEATH AND BEHIND THE PECTORAL FINS, THE OTHER LIGHTLY ENCIRCLING THE WRIST OF THE TAIL. AVOID STRONG CURRENTS THAT WILL SWEEP TIRED FISH DOWNSTREAM. MOVE THE FISH SLOWLY AND GENTLY IN A TIGHT OVAL, KEEPING THE FISH COMPLETELY SUBMERGED AND ALWAYS FACING INTO THE CURRENT.

8} DON'T LET THE TROUT GO UNTIL IT IS FIGHTING TO GET OUT OF YOUR GRASP.

9) KEEP AN EYE ON THE FISH FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN. IF IT STARTS TO TILT OR TIP, RE-NET IT AND TRY AGAIN TO REVIVE IT.

10} REMEMBER THAT WHEN THE WEATHER IS WARM THE FISH ARE ALREADY STRESSED. SO RELEASE THEM AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I loved this book. "Lefty's little tips 200 innovative ideas for improving your fly fishing"

It is in a series of 4 books "Lefty's little library of fly fishing"

Here are a few

Never put your rod or tackle on the roof at the end of the day.
Removing the curles from the fly lines
strip out about 40' or more loop it around your ball hitch 20' out and apply pressure to with a steady pull. The curls will disappear. Slip the line around your ball hitch
Dope your flies ahead of time - "Don't waste time on stream dressing your flies. When you finish tying your dry's apply dry fly oil
My favorite!!!! --- Boots by the furnace or campfire are NO NO's!!!! :&O
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A little trick I learned from "The Traveling Flyfisherman" tour years ago was to get your boots wet before you put them on.
When you get to the river grab your boots and dunk them in the river or put them under the tap at the campground, maybe even the tub at the motel. lol

Go about getting your rod ready, preppin the boat, finishing your Coffee and Blueberry Bagel, or whatever..... Just let your boots soften up and stretch out a little before you put them on, this really makes it much easier.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."