The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree204Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Carrying a pair of scissors onstream let's you tweak flies if you need to.

I often tie spinners "in the round" with no wings, just a wrapped hackle collar.

You can use them to skitter across the surface to imitate the females that fly along the surface dipping their abdomen in the water to drop eggs, and/or the mating swarms that sometimes fly just above the water.

Or you can trim the bottom by cutting a small "V" notch in the bottom to sit lower in the water (but still be easy to see because of the hackle on top).

or cut top and bottom, just leaving the fibers sticking out on the sides for a spent wing spinner that fishes in the film.

You can also give dry flies a haircut to turn them into emergers or cripples. And the "V" notch is handy on other dries- it's one way to correct problem flies that don't ride correctly like ones that tip forward, or fall over etc.)

And sometimes streamers with a lot of flash attract fish, sometimes it seems to scare them. If you tie them with flash, you can always do some snipping to turn them into stealth fighters, trim to match the size of bait, get them to ride true, cast better or sink faster. i learned this one night fishing with Kenny Vanderlaske after I ran into him on the beach one night. He was an excellent mentor and very generous with his time and advice helping me get started in SW (and one of the reasons i keep recommending newbies join a fly fishing club). We ran into a cinder worm hatch one night- a small marine worm that swarms around the new and full moons. Neither of us had anything that small, and weren't getting any love from the fish, even though striped bass were swirling and slurping all around us in the dark. He trimmed the tail off a small deceiver and was instantly into fish. He and his wife Lori now guide on Marthas Vineyard, and are two of the best fly fisher folks i know.

mark
Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Little tricks to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
For those of you who may use the Loon fly drying crystals with the little indicator that turns pink when they are "spent". Rather then buying a new batch; which Loon would love you to do, put the crystals in a small pie tin or pyrex baking dish. Put the oven on 150 degrees, and bake until the pink crystals return to the original blue color. They work just like new.

Dan
Great trick Dan. I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks.
Racine
Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Very good tip on the spinners peregrines. And good tips all. Keep 'em comin'
Old 07-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I've got one. When you've snagged your fly ......Raise your straight up keeping the line tight and then roll cast above and past the object you are snagged on.. .
If that does not work, reel the line in till you have the line tight with top of the rod almost straight up. Grab the line between the reel and stripper guide and pull it out sideways from the rod keeping the line tight and the rod well bent. Release the line and a nano second or two behind drop the rod tip and the immediately pull back on the rod. It sends a shock wave down the line and pops it off opposite the direction it went on. I have found if it does not come off in three tries it isn't going to. This works best with the more "stretchy" mono, but still works with a fly rod. The longer the tippet, the better.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for taking part in this thread
Mark great tip as usualI knew an old hand who used this scissors method and he dind't want to waste bigger feathers of his Metz capes...he also used a similar one burning the tips of the hackles under the fly to shorten them and make the flies float better in fast waters...not very nice but it works
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Trick of the week.How to choose good flies for fast and pocket waters.
I haven't bought flies for long but here's a little trick you can use when you buy some in a flyshop.Take the fly beteween your fingers about one foot above the shop counter or the glass of the shop fly display box...the higher they bounce the better they'll float...funny...try it!it's not a joke
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Like the sound of that JBB, I'll have to give it a try. Now here is another money saver idea for those who use "Dry Fly Floatant" paste. The product is called Abilene and it is basically the same thing as Gherkes Gink floatant. It comes in 1 pound tubs and you get it at beauty supply shops. I got this idea from a guide I know in Grayling.

Dan
Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

trick of the week:catch your fly in a high branch.
Several methods have been given on this thread to get a fly stuck somewhere.Sometimes it's stuck in a little branch you're not tall enough to get...so either you hire a NBA player for the day or have a 2m tall friend like I do(but he's not always here) or use your rod and line like illustrated on the photo to pull down the branch and then grab it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c r o 2 080.jpg (101.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Carrying a pair of scissors onstream let's you tweak flies if you need to.

I often tie spinners "in the round" with no wings, just a wrapped hackle collar.

You can use them to skitter across the surface to imitate the females that fly along the surface dipping their abdomen in the water to drop eggs, and/or the mating swarms that sometimes fly just above the water.

Or you can trim the bottom by cutting a small "V" notch in the bottom to sit lower in the water (but still be easy to see because of the hackle on top).

or cut top and bottom, just leaving the fibers sticking out on the sides for a spent wing spinner that fishes in the film.

You can also give dry flies a haircut to turn them into emergers or cripples. And the "V" notch is handy on other dries- it's one way to correct problem flies that don't ride correctly like ones that tip forward, or fall over etc.)

And sometimes streamers with a lot of flash attract fish, sometimes it seems to scare them. If you tie them with flash, you can always do some snipping to turn them into stealth fighters, trim to match the size of bait, get them to ride true, cast better or sink faster. i learned this one night fishing with Kenny Vanderlaske after I ran into him on the beach one night. He was an excellent mentor and very generous with his time and advice helping me get started in SW (and one of the reasons i keep recommending newbies join a fly fishing club). We ran into a cinder worm hatch one night- a small marine worm that swarms around the new and full moons. Neither of us had anything that small, and weren't getting any love from the fish, even though striped bass were swirling and slurping all around us in the dark. He trimmed the tail off a small deceiver and was instantly into fish. He and his wife Lori now guide on Marthas Vineyard, and are two of the best fly fisher folks i know.

mark
Mark

Very good point. I had a guide the other day using scissors to trim the legs on chernobyl ants, he didn't like the length of the legs. I definitely need to get myself a pair to carry.

Larry
Old 07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I carry scissors anytime I am fishing. I like the Tiemco Scissors. They have large finger holes and serrated blades. I bought them for Kevlar thread back in the Seventies and still use them today. The Holdzit is a great little holder to keep the scissors in. I have a pocket on my vest with a chain inside. I fasten the Holdzit to the chain and put the scissors in side the Holdzit. Then the whole thing goes inside of the pocket and there is no worry about getting stuck. A very satisfactory system.

Frank

Tiemco Scissors
Click the image to open in full size.

Holdzit
Click the image to open in full size.