The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Little tricks to share (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/9658-little-tricks-share.html)

jpbfly 05-27-2009 05:10 AM

Little tricks to share

Encouraged by Hardyreels to do it,I’ve decided to start a new thread to share some of my tricks with you ,maybe most of them will help beginners ,maybe some of you will find a good idea to solve a little problem…before I start don’t blame me if my explanations are not always as clear as you expected for French is my native tongue.
1 You’ve got a rod whose ferule is worn out or your tip or a piece of your 4 or3p rod which works loose or goes off when you fish.Just take a candle and rub your rod with it,easy,cheap and it works as well on carbon and metal.
to be continued….if you find that useful:)

Davo 05-27-2009 06:58 AM

Re: Little tricks to share

I've got one. When you've snagged your fly on a log, rock, root.... ect that is above the water, and are unable to get to it do to depth or speed of water or cause your floating past it down the river what do you do? Most times people just snap it off and tie on a new fly. Next time this happens to you try this, Raise your straight up keeping the line tight and then roll cast above and past the object you are snagged on. After your line goes over the object make a quick backcast. About half the time your fly pops free and the fishing continues. I use this technique alot with clients as well as for myself. Also never use this method when snagged in a bush or tree, you'll end up with a bunch of line tangled in the branches.

jpbfly 05-27-2009 08:07 AM

Hi Davo!that's a good one....I wanted to share in a few weeks...so I'll have to find another one:icon_wink.

Davo 05-27-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbbfly (Post 61092)
Hi Davo!that's a good one....I wanted to share in a few weeks...so I'll have to find another one:icon_wink.

jbbfly

Sorry it was the first one to come to mind. I use it quite alot, it saves alot of time and money!!

Davo 05-27-2009 08:34 PM

Another good one is to cut a small piece of a car wash chamois and pin it to your vest or stick in your pocket. When your fly becomes water logged and won't float anymore, just pinch the fly in the chamois and squeeze out the water. Then reapply floatant and start fishing. Dries out fly quickly and is reusable for a long time.

jpbfly 05-28-2009 05:38 AM

So...Davo and I are going to share our little tricks,that's a good team I think:icon_bigg.The car wash chamois is great but you can use this too.When you find a little bag of silica desicant in one of your parcels or a medicine tube,don't throw it as advised,put it in a little tube.When your fly is wet,put it inside the tube,close it and shake...It'll come out perfectly dry.(very useful when you fish with a "cul de canard".http://i85.servimg.com/u/f85/12/25/58/99/c_r_o_17.jpg

Davo 05-29-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbbfly (Post 61205)
So...Davo and I are going to share our little tricks,that's a good team I think:icon_bigg.The car wash chamois is great but you can use this too.When you find a little bag of silica desicant in one of your parcels or a medicine tube,don't throw it as advised,put it in a little tube.When your fly is wet,put it inside the tube,close it and shake...It'll come out perfectly dry.(very useful when you fish with a "cul de canard".

This is a tried and true method for drying drowned flies. Used it myself for years and still have a small jar of desicant in my vest. Takes more time and fumbling. One key to desicants is to make sure you remove all excess from your fly before adding floatant or fishing. Desicant soaks up many times it's own weight in water, leave any on the fly and it will start sinking quickly causing the need to repeat treatment.

Davo 05-29-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbbfly (Post 61205)
So...Davo and I are going to share our little tricks

Everyone elses little tricks are more than welcome. I'm sure many other members have pearls of wisdom to share!!! :thumbsup:

Davo 06-03-2009 05:00 PM

Jean-Paul

Took a little while to find it but finally did. There was already a thread for this topic Started by Fyshstryker. Here is the link http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tips-4052.html. Give it a read.

flyguy66 06-03-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbbfly (Post 61083)
Encouraged by Hardyreels to do it,I’ve decided to start a new thread to share some of my tricks with you ,maybe most of them will help beginners ,maybe some of you will find a good idea to solve a little problem…before I start don’t blame me if my explanations are not always as clear as you expected for French is my native tongue.
1 You’ve got a rod whose ferule is worn out or your tip or a piece of your 4 or3p rod which works loose or goes off when you fish.Just take a candle and rub your rod with it,easy,cheap and it works as well on carbon and metal.
to be continued….if you find that useful:)

chapstick works, too...and most of us carry 1 w/us on the river.