The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default New NFO Outlaw X5 review

While it did take a little over a month since I ordered them, ( they are all USA made- locally in Ogden Ut.) and knowing what size operation Dave and Larry/Northfork Outdoors-have we got them a little while ago. So if you have to wait a while for a NFO/Scadden boat, quit whining and *****in' like that whiner Mcghee. It's damn well worth it. Or if you're going to whine, buy a Chinese made Outcast or ODC.
BTW, we keep getting Scadden boats because they hold up. Before this we had the Cardiac Canyons since spring of '01. Before that the 8' Scadden Expeditions and Joni had a Bucks Bag toon.
This last weekend we went up for 4 days to a southeastern Idaho stillwater to really give them a go.
Joni in the yeller one, me and the rojo one. I have a Garmin GPS. It's pretty accurate too. I usually take it on the boat with me. Just for the fun of it, I rowed across the lake. Now it's not as fast as a canoe or 'yak, but for a kickboat- it flies. I did top out briefly at 4 mph. I couldn't hold it there for very long. 3- 3.4 mph was average.
10' of nothing but stability. With the 'toon as a one piece unit, 35 seconds per side to inflate it with a LVM pump (topping off with a hand pump when all is strapped on) simple 5 pc. frame held on by 10 cam straps- 4 of which hold down the rear deck.

Frame
Click the image to open in full size.

'Toonage

With the lean bar

Sonar Transducer
(and chain anchor)

Sonar and mount

In action
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Me at Strawberry week before last-6'3" & I'm down to 225.Like I said- this thing is stable.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New NFO Outlaw X5 review

Mojo: Nice looking poontons, I'll bet you really appreciate the ability to stand up and cast. I think I saw the X5 at the Denver Fly Fishing Show.

Larry
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the pics and review. I have been looking at getting one of theose for a long time. They look like great watercraft.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Flygoddess loves the standing platform. I'm going to get a wider rear deck or build one so Baxter has more room.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo: I can see from the pictures what you mean about the rear deck, it is definitely on the small size for a dog. Do you and Joni ever use an electric motor? Lots of folks around here are using electric motors on their pontoons and slowly trolling the lake when not fishing stationary.

Larry
Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Looks like Joni has a trolling motor on her pontoon.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 PM

She has the Minnkota Maxxum. Variable speed model. If you look real close, you'll see a red and purple pfd in back of my seat. Under that is a battery in a box. You'll also notice a black "candy cane" looking thing with a splotch of red. That's my motor. Remote speed box.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Mojo: OK, that makes sense. Last season I was out fishing (didn't launch the boat as the wind was howling) and a spotted a guy in a pontoon rowing like mad against the wind and he was barely making any headway. He finally made it to shore, but he must have been really tired.

Larry