The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 AM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Hardest Fighting Fish

What in your opinion is the hardest fighting fish on the fly rod? For me, it is the silver bullet known as the steelhead
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardest Fighting Fish

In 1881's Book of the Black Bass, author Dr. James A. Henshall stated that the smallmouth bass "inch for inch or pound for pound is the gamest fish that swims"
I tend to agree
Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Not as spectacular as smallies and steelhead, because they don't jump. But small tuna, like false albacore are pretty tough with a lot of heart. It's not unheard of for them to literally fight to the death and be tough/impossible to revive (because of lactic acid build up in their muscles). Blistering runs, and incredible strength, they're an amazing fish in a such a small package. Unlike most fish, tuna are semi-warm-blooded with the ability to regulate their internal temperature to some extent- a biological adaptation for speed, strength, and endurance. As an added bonus, they often "light up" with intense neon colors as they're zooming around on the end of your line. They can be tough to target with a fly rod, but lb for lb, they are a truly amazing fish.

mark
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
In 1881's Book of the Black Bass, author Dr. James A. Henshall stated that the smallmouth bass "inch for inch or pound for pound is the gamest fish that swims"
I tend to agree
Great book, I have two copies lol
I have to agree also that smallies kick but, on a fly rod or any other rod for that matter. I think carp would run a damn clsoe race thou
Bear
Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Delta Stripers are the hardest fighters out here. Carp are right up there too.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Amberjack, Permit, Jack Cravalle, False abacore (actually in the mackeral family) or any tuna are about as tough as anything around that regularly eat flies.

A couple years ago , we were over some amberjack and the one guy got spooled 3 times with 300yds of backing and never landed one. His buddy hooked up one on a 50# baitcasting outfit and fought it for 45 min and the knot broke without ever seeing the fish.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I think a fresh spring run steelie has giving me some good runs for my money, but a big smallie aint far behind. I dont have alot of different species under my belt so these are just my experiences.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Siamese fighting fish, but you have to have a mirror....

sorry, could not help it. Lord, I apologize....
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 AM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road

a pissed off big northern pike has some real fight to them.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:04 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

pound for pound it is the bluegill sunfish...bream...shellcracker...whatever u call them where u live.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist