The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough
Default Can you catch trout in a Snow Melt Steam?

Hey guys some friends and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone, Montana, and Wyoming to do some fishing in mid June and i have heard a lot about the snow melt effecting the streams during this time of year. My question is can we catch fish in these streams during this time period and if so, how? We really want to focus on doing some back country hike in fishing and catching some cutties. Thanks guys, Nate
Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 AM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can you catch trout in a Snow Melt Steam?

its hard to say. every stream is differnt
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
its hard to say. every stream is differnt
true, true. and every fisherperson is different. i have a buddy who just gives up fishing until late june around my area but i know of several places which can prove productive with the right approach, both in technique and mentality. if you're locked into this time frame, just fish the edges and slow water. with some research you should find out which areas may clear faster too. sorry i can't offer direct immediate help.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
true, true. and every fisherperson is different. i have a buddy who just gives up fishing until late june around my area but i know of several places which can prove productive with the right approach, both in technique and mentality. if you're locked into this time frame, just fish the edges and slow water. with some research you should find out which areas may clear faster too. sorry i can't offer direct immediate help.

eric
fresno, ca.
Right... bottom line is they have to eat... you just have to figure out what and where.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything above, depends on the stream and how off color the water is. I did a guided trip over on the North Fork of the South Platte a couple weeks back, when I got to the river I was really disappointed to see how off color the water was. The visibility was maybe a foot, but it didn't seem to impact the fishing. The guides were using a little larger flies (size 16) than normal and flies with a little flash, but we ended up catching approx. 40 fish between the two of us. Streamers also worked well.

Larry
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Larry, I don't really agree.

I have a video where Tim Rajeff is fishing a little trib of the upper Deschutes shed near Maupin with John, the owner of Deschutes River Anglers/Outfitters. He was nymphing in very high water that was running the color of coffee... and plucked a huge slab sided bow using a ton of split shot to get down into the core structure... it was big enough John was blown away (who has guided that water for 30 years), and according to Jeff it was the biggest bow he's had anywhere in the lower 48. Put what they are eating in front of them... they are there, doesn't matter how off color the water is. That is the fishes environment, their vision in those conditions is far better than ours, so don't use what you can see as your barometer.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Nate,
You can catch fish in the high dirty water on many streams. I had a casting/fishing lesson for a few people the other day on the Gallatin River here in Southwest Montana and to my amazement we did very well drifting Black stoneflies in a river that was raging and had less than 6 inches of visibility. Your biggest concern for your trip is going to be how high the water is rather than just the clarity. Wading on many of the rivers will be tough if not impossible in many places and you will need to be careful near some of the rivers because of the speed and volume of water, you don't want to take a swim when the water is high.

It has been nice a warm in Southwest Montana all week and lots of snow has been melting. Many waters in our neck of the woods will be starting to clear but they will still be running very high. There is a lot of snow up high still waiting to come down but you should be able to find plenty of spots to fish on your trip. By the time you arrive in Yellowstone the Firehole should be on fire with hatches of PMD's and Caddis with some possible Salmonflies if your timing is right. The Gibbon and some of the other smaller waters in the Northwestern Corner of the park should be in good shape and fishing well also. The Yellowstone in the park, which will still be closed near the Lake will be high and most likely dirty as well as Slough and the Lamar. If you venture into the park I would concentrate on waters near the West Entrance to the park.

Good luck with your trip and if you get here and are struggling to find some water to fish send me and IM and I will try and steer you guys in the right direction.

Biggie.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Fly Fishing Crazy is on a distinguished road

"ezamora" and "GRN" gave you the best basic advice. Fish gotta eat! and Fish the edges and slow water.
The fish are smart enough to get out of heavy current, but they lie right next to it so they can grab anything edible that floats by, so fish the seam between the fast and slower water with stoneflies, wooly buggers, or San Juan worms, either in black or brighter colors.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the help guys! Do you recomend fishing any of the smaller tributaries coming into the bigger rivers during this time or should we stick to the bigger waters during the melt?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I agree with everything above, depends on the stream and how off color the water is. I did a guided trip over on the North Fork of the South Platte a couple weeks back, when I got to the river I was really disappointed to see how off color the water was. The visibility was maybe a foot, but it didn't seem to impact the fishing. The guides were using a little larger flies (size 16) than normal and flies with a little flash, but we ended up catching approx. 40 fish between the two of us. Streamers also worked well.

Larry
Sorry... first time around I seem to have completely read this wrong... not sure how either...