The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default New Waterproof P&S Camera

I need to take the plunge and get a waterproof P&S. I am spending too much time on the water to keep testing my old Canon P&S. With my clumsiness it is just a matter of time until the camera takes a swim. I have been doing my research and have looked at the Olympus and Pentax options. Seems like the new versions of the Olympus (the 8000 and 6000 Tough models) are not getting very good reviews. Every review seems to talk about very poor picture quality. Anyway, I just read that Canon has entered the waterproof/shockproof market with the Powershot D10. Looks a little more bulky than the others, but I have had good experience with Canon products. Just wondering if anyone here has heard anything or had any experience with them yet? They were just released and have only been on the market for a few weeks now. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: New Waterproof P&S Camera

I've been using an Olympus 720 for awhile. Takes great above and below water pictures. If you are serious about your photo stuff, look for a camera that shoots in Raw format. I think Nikon is the only one available.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Last fall I bought a Pentax Optio W60 for the reasons you suggest. I'd been looking for some time, and until that W60 came out, was pretty much limited to Olympus models. What decided me on the Pentax W60 was the optical zoom range, better than any of the alternatives. Also important to me was the compactness of the waterproof camera, and here the Pentax also scored well. I have been very pleased with both the small footprint of the camera and the quality of its pictures. It is also "user friendly" in its ergonomics.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got an older Pentax Optio WPI I've been quite happy with. I could work with it to get much better performance out of it, but its been quite serviceable even without any fiddling. Basically all the pictures I've posted were taken with it.

I've also been hearing great reports on the Pentax W60 and would likely snag one of those were I needing one now.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.