The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default coulee region in sw wisconsin

hello guys,
i'm in the works planning a trip this spring to sw wisconsin. i have some leads through some contact with the "driftless angler fly shop" out of verona but am still totally new to this area.

any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

casey

edit- driftless angler in viroqua

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 01-26-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: town
Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: coulee region in sw wisconsin

I was over there last summer with a buddy of mine. The streams were all blown out due to a massive rainfall. However, we did find some good water thanks to the guys at the Driftless Angler. My buddy caught the biggest trout of the trip (14" brookie and 16" brown) on a small leech pattern worked through some stained riffles. Bead-headed scuds worked the best in clear water. Not sure if that holds true in the springtime, though.

Definitely check out the Driftless Angler website if you haven't already. The owner maintains a blog during the season with stream reports, fishing conditions, and what's working.

Also, be prepared for weather. What you want to fish might not be fishable if there's a heavy rainfall. The Spring Coulee branch of the Timber Coulee is one of the first streams in the area to clear out after a massive rainfall.

We stayed at the Hickory Hill Motel. It was a bit of a dive, but nice and clean at a good price. The owner is a great guy who loves to talk trout. He shared his favorite locations with us, and they paid off for us.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Casey: Send LenHarris a PM, he is a forum member and has fished that area for years, he should be able to answer all your questions. You might also use the search function on the web site and search for "driftless area" you should see a number of posts that Len has posted on fishing that area.

Larry

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

gbfowler will become famous soon enough

Feel free to send me a PM, I live in WI and fish out there often.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 PM

gbfowler will become famous soon enough

Also, If you like to camp the Westfork sportsmans club kickapoo is a cheap and great place to stay. Its literally right on the West fork which is a trophy brown trout fishery, the best part though is the knowledge walking around at the camp ground!