The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 06:44 AM

stolenhorse is on a distinguished road
Default Wife needs a new stick

My wife and I are gettting more inro fly fishing lately. I have purchased myself a new Sage launch 9' 5wt 2 piece. I can manage 50 60 yards no problem with 5wt line. For now my wife is using an 8 1/2' 7wt Dogwood Canyon. But it feels more like a 5 or 6 light. I've had this rod a long time. A large Arbor lightweigh martin is mounted on it and she is using 7wt floating weigh froward Scientic Angler line. For now we have been fishing for blugill on several local lakes out in the boat. She is getting about 30-40 yards max but she doing ok and catching fish. We are both lefties. She is 5' 7" 135 lbs. Strong woman. I'm 6' 210. We are both mid late 50's. We fish a LOT. She seems to handle the 8 1/2 ft better than my 9'. We fish Weekends and once or twice during week. Later this summer, possibly fall we will be heading up to the White river area Arkansas. Hope the water levels are low and consistant but I know how its been. I have been up there several times in the last few years. But mostly spinning out of a boat. We want to wade/flyfish. I have been reseaching rods galore. For now I'm leaning toward her a Hobbs Creek 8 1/2 5 or 6 wt, an orvis 8 1/2 ft 5 or 6 wt Clear water 11, A St Crox Imperial 8 1/2' 5wt and several othr rods in that quality and price range. Nothing against the Ross and Sage and some other low end higher cost s rods either. These rods I have been reviewing just seem to be decent quality for the money. Any suggestions? And do you think she should stick with the 8 1/2 ft 5wt? Thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife needs a new stick

stolenhorse: Another fly rod you should take a hard look at is the Albright A-5, we have heard very good reviews on this rod, there are a number of folks on the forum using this rod.
A-5 Fly Rods

Larry
Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

With all the advances in fly-rod technology I don't think you can go wrong, though I do think your wife would be better off with a medium-action rod (more flex lower in the rod). I think the St. Croix and Orvis rods are good choices. I don't know the other one.

I'd also look at the Cabela's PT+.

Randy
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 AM

I like what I read on allbright . The cabelas PT also checked out just fine. I agree, she needs a medium action not a fast one. Have reservations about the 7 blank. I know you loose sensitivity in the 7's and 8's vs 6's. The 7 may be a little stiff? I just need to keep researchng. There are a lot of high quality rods out there at good prices. Thanks abunch
Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A St. Croix Avid or Sage Launch in 8'6" 5wt should be a great fit.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 AM

Great Rod.... Well Since I've got the launch in 9' 2 piece 5wt for myself.... I decided to get her the St Crox Avid 8' 6" 5wt. And it is more of a medium Action. She will love the Pearl green too. I wish they made it in a 2 piece but the four piece should be just fine. I don't want to short change her. I think this rod will fit her just fine. I may want to try it myself! I've got a tatinium Orvis Battenkill from bar stock standard size 3" arbor on the way I think Ill put it on hers. And order myself the gold mid arbor to go on my sage launch. That should fix us up for now. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Avid is a very nice rod, and I hope your wife enjoys it!

When you write that you can cast that far in yards, do you mean feet? That's a mighty long cast in yards .
Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 AM

Frank, Yes, I can cast my casting and spinning rods that far......no problem!

BUT FLY ROD ... NO

MY MISTAKE.... tHAT SHOULD HAVE READ FEET. AND 70 80 FT I CAN DO BUT I STAY WITHIN MY MANAGEABLE FISHING ZONE.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 11:58 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought .

The first rod I bought for my wife was a 9' 5wt Avid, and I always thought the
8.5' version would have been a better choice.