The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM

kory10 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Rod and Reel combination?

I'm heading out to montana this summer going to be fishing in glacier, yellowstone, and the madison. I'm looking to buy and rod and reel just wanted to get some feed back as to what you guys think would be the best choice.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Best Rod and Reel combination?

Hi Kory,

Do you already own a rod and reel, if so please post again and say what you are currently using. I ask because unless a person indicates that money isn't a problem I generally don't tell a person to but a new rig just for fishing an area different than they fish at home. Of course if you come back and tell me that the only rod you own is a 6' 6" 3 weight I will advise that you'll want a bigger rod. I fished my way from Alberta down to Cody over a few years in the early 1980's and did it using a 7' 9" 5 weight and had a wonderful experience but many Western anglers like a 9' 5, 6, or 7 weight depending on the size flies and rivers they fish. Wind is often a problem in this area so a 6 or 7 may be a good choice. When I fished Montana & Wyoming sometimes it was so windy on the larger rivers that it really wouldn't have mattered what I was using the casting was a chore. I'll watch to see what you say here and then reply.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

IMO, the best choice will be contingent upon what you plan to do with the rig after your trip.

I see you recently joined-- welcome. Do you already have fly gear? If so, what? What you already have may just be perfect for this trip. If no, what you buy should cover all of your fishing ventures... not necessarily just one trip.

Also, what species are you pursuing? Both for the trip and around your home waters.

There is quite a bit to consider (not to make it sound overwhelming--because it really isn't) I think we need more info to try and help you down the right path.

//Edit// Sniped by Ard.... //Edit//
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Kory,
My guess is nine foot five or six weight rod, matching reel, and a floating line depending on when you go, what hatch is happening, and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. Keep in mind that I typed "guess."

If you really want a solid answer, shoot an e-mail to one of the local outfitters. Feel free to make a phone call if you wish. You can get a good idea on what they would recommend based off of their experiences. You do not necessarily need to ask them which brands they use, but ask them about rod length, line weight, and preferred actions. You never know. You may already have a good enough rod and reel for the trip already. If you get a satisfactory answer, stop by the shop and buy a few flies and other items as a thank you.

MP
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Kory,
My guess is nine foot five or six weight rod, matching reel, and a floating line depending on when you go, what hatch is happening, and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. Keep in mind that I typed "guess."

If you really want a solid answer, shoot an e-mail to one of the local outfitters. Feel free to make a phone call if you wish. You can get a good idea on what they would recommend based off of their experiences. You do not necessarily need to ask them which brands they use, but ask them about rod length, line weight, and preferred actions. You never know. You may already have a good enough rod and reel for the trip already. If you get a satisfactory answer, stop by the shop and buy a few flies and other items as a thank you.

MP

a nine-fiver should work great!

casey

ARFE