The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default difference in line size

Not talking the weight here, but the physical size (diameter) of lines.

Never have given it much thought before. I usually just buy a line I want and spool it on the reel, but today I got a Rio WF6S3 (sink tip) line and decided to put it on a reel (Okuma SLV) I had lined with a cheap (eBay no-name) WF6F line a couple of years ago. The reel only held about 50' of 20# dacron backing with the cheap line, but I just filled it and used it that way without really giving it any thought. I removed the old line and nail knotted the new to the old backing, but the reel was only about half full when I wound the new line on.
I stripped everything off, put on 100 yards of new 20# dacron and the new line and still have plenty of clearance!
This new Rio line is much smaller diameter than the no-name line!
Now I'm wondering just how much variation there really is between brands?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: difference in line size

Just my opinion here---

If it's a "sink tip" with just the front section of the line sinking and the rest of the line floating (as opposed to a full sink line where the whole fly line sinks) it doesn't seem like there should be a whole lot of difference assuming the total length of the lines are the same.

The sinking portion of the line of a WF 6 S3 sink tip will be thinner of course than the tip of the WF 6 F floater since it's the difference in density (weight vs volume displaced) that makes it sink instead of float, but that shouldn't result in that much difference in backing--- any chance your older line was a Double Taper floater or that the new line is actually a full sink instead of a sink tip?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Just my opinion here---

If it's a "sink tip" with just the front section of the line sinking and the rest of the line floating (as opposed to a full sink line where the whole fly line sinks) it doesn't seem like there should be a whole lot of difference assuming the total length of the lines are the same.

The sinking portion of the line of a WF 6 S3 sink tip will be thinner of course than the tip of the WF 6 F floater since it's the difference in density (weight vs volume displaced) that makes it sink instead of float, but that shouldn't result in that much difference in backing--- any chance your older line was a Double Taper floater or that the new line is actually a full sink instead of a sink tip?

The old line is a WF6F the new a WF6S3 (designated WF6FS in some brands).
I haven't miked the lines, but the Rio seems to be much smaller diameter in the running line portion. I suspect the "no-name" line has a thicker coating (for bouyancy?).
The no-name line has been a decent line, floats well and casts well. I did have a slight problem of it not wanting to shoot well through the guides of an Okuma rod I tried it on, but I was blaming the rod for having small guides. Now I'm wondering if it the guides or the line??????
Old 01-26-2011, 04:23 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I MAY be mistaken, actually-- I'm likely mistaken... lol

But, I understand 'modern' lines to not vary much in diameter-- as the 'weight' comes from the density of the core....

Are you sure that the lines are the same length? Same 'properties'- ie. DT vs WF, etc.? Is one a sink tip or full sink? I believe that sinks will have a smaller diameter (less surface for buoyancy), than floating-- this could be your case...

Not sure why I responded-- I really don't have an answer-- just possible explanations... // slowly backs out of thread//
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think what you see is that as mentioned, the sink tip has a dense small diameter and it is followed by the "running line" property of a weight forward taper design. No worries though, had you went with a WF floater they may have been rather close in the actual volume of spool diameter they took up.

I realize this same phenomenon when I change out my sink tip to a floating tip on a 120' short head line that I use. The sink tip fits neatly on the reel but the floater fills er up to the point where you gotta be careful to level wind the spool as you reel in the entire length of the floater.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM

flying has a spectacular aura aboutflying has a spectacular aura aboutflying has a spectacular aura about

You can go to the RIO website and see the difference in the WFS and WF for the difference in tapers.

The WF has a longer head and back taper length with less running line.

The WFS has a shorter head and back taper with more running line plus the front sink section is a smaller diameter. I'm sure the floating head section is a smaller diameter as well as the tungsten in the sink tip adds to the overall line weight.

I notice a big difference in my full sinking lines. More sink rate = Tungsten = smaller line diameter as less coating is need to meet line weight classifications.