The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Indicator Placement 'Thingamabobber' (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/97539-indicator-placement-thingamabobber.html)

stoneyclove 01-27-2011 09:44 AM

Indicator Placement 'Thingamabobber'

I have being using Thingamabobber indicators on and off for a while and I have always set them at the depth or just slightly less than the water I am fishing.

I have guys tell me that I'm doing this wrong. It should be 1.5 to 2x the depth I am fishing. Could someone please explain this theory cause it makes no sense to me.
I can understand with a sighter as it doesn't influence the drift.

dhayden 01-27-2011 10:04 AM

Re: Indicator Placement 'Thingamabobber'

I like it to be bouncing the flies off the bottom (most times) - so, depending on the speed of the water, how much 'extra' you have to have.

peregrines 01-27-2011 10:10 AM

Hey stoneyclove,

I agree with dhayden, you'd generally want your nymph to be right at the bottom. Fish often hang out in the slower current speed there because of the uneven contours of the bottom that give them a break from the force of the water, and of course if they're actively feeding by grubbing on the bottom for nymphs you'll want your fly to be where the food is.

The theory of needing extra line is that the current speed affects the length of line you'll need to reach bottom since the line with the fly and split shot doesn't go down in a straight line to the bottom from the indicator, but descends at an angle--

So if the water is 2 feet deep and moving, if you set your indicator 2 feet above the fly it might end up being only 1 foot or so below the surface. If on the other hand you set it 1.5x the depth, or 3 feet in this case, it will be closer to the bottom. 1.5x seems about the right ratio for many situations, but use less for slower currents, more for faster currents.

Again that's just the theory---

Hope this helps

kglissmeyer1 01-27-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peregrines (Post 199961)
Hey stoneyclove,

The theory is that the current speed affects the length of line you'll need to reach bottom since the line with the fly and split shot doesn't go down in a straight line to the bottom from the indicator, but descends at an angle--

So if the water is 2 feet deep and moving, if you set your indicator 2 feet above the fly it might end up being only 1 foot or so below the surface. If on the other hand you set it 1.5x the depth, or 3 feet in this case, it will be closer to the bottom. 1.5x seems about the right ratio for many situations, but use less for slower currents, more for faster currents.

Again that's just the theory---

Hope this helps

Mark nailed it. It depends on the depth and speed of the water you're fishing. I fish a very slow-water spring creek where I set my indicator fly exactly the depth above where I know the fish are holding - sometimes its the top of the weeds, sometimes lower. When I fish the lower Henry's Fork, especially around the Vernon Bridge stretch I usually use 1 1/2 to 2x from indicator to my first fly and then adjust accordingly.

Constant paying attention is needed since many areas have different depths for different runs, thus the reason why I use Thingamabobbers for any river nymph fishing besides on my spring creek, they are adjustable and you need to remember to make an adjustment from when you're throwing in the deep, heavy currents, to when you may turn around and start throwing towards the bank where it may be much shallower.

The biggest solution to this is to pay attention to what is happening with your drift - if you're hanging up on rocks and weeds every cast, you may be too far up the leader with your indicator; not hanging up at all, and not catching any fish, perhaps you're too low with your indicator. Pay attention to what' is or isn't happening and make adjustments accordingly.

Also, don't forget to give attention to how much weight you may or may not need to get your flies to the correct depth as quickly as possible.

Good luck!

Kelly.

stoneyclove 01-27-2011 03:30 PM

Thanks guys for your replies.
If the weather would co-operate I could experiment a bit before the spring. At least January is almost out of the way and the evenings are beginning to stretch out.