The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: A 9'0" - 6wt for an 11 year old?

jbbfly,

My apologies, I missed your post somehow! And didn't mean to slight you. I'm with you. Go for it and if the rod is too much to handle, get a shorter, lighter one.

I'm interested in learing the best ways to teach kids too, and just did a Google search on it. There is quite a bit out there on the subject, one forum post in particular that's worth reading.

How to teach kids to fly fish - Fly Fishing

This link is a great story.

Fly Fish Chick Blog Archive A Sweet Take on The Blackfoot

Al Crise, who just recently died, wrote a book about teaching kids too, which I hadn't know about and which I will order myself. I'm sure it's a good one.

Someone the search turned up recommended a rod lenght twice the height of the kid. There was no reason mentioned for it though.

My daughter finally showed an interest in it at age 11 when we went to Colorado to visit friends - who lived on a ranch in the middle of nowhere with a brown and rainbow filled brook running through their backyard.

It was a very scary experience for me because all I'd brought for a rod was a 7' 4wt bamboo rod that was irreplaceable.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

My Dad taught me at the age of 10, I stood 4'9" at the time. I learned and continued to fish for many yrs on a 8'6" 7wt. Still have the rod, old hand me down from my Dad. As a guide I take several kids a year on the first outing and have no trouble getting them started with my client rods which are 9' 6wt Orvis Clearwater II Mid Flex rods. I can think of no reason you can't teach your son with the equipment you have. Just be sure to keep it fun and not make it into work!! Your son will get a lifetime of enjoyment out of the time his Dad taught him to fly fish. I know I did and still do!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

I think he would be better suited to a 8 1/2' 5 weight.
It will hold him in good stead when he grows, and nothing wrong with that combo to use when he is an adult.
9' 6wt at his size/age would probably tire him out.
Cheers
Richard
Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

My daughter started to go with me a little last spring when she was 9. She was using a 9ft 6 wt and had no trouble. We didn't do a lot of dry fly fishing so there wasn't a lot of backcasting. But we did a little and the rod worked fine. She caught two 12 inch rainbows her first time out and lost a third she had hooked.

Incidentally, getting kids into fly tying is a real miracle. My daughter is extremely patient when she ties and she has these little skinny fingers (as opposed to my fat fingers) that are a real asset.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock