The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default A 9'0" - 6wt for an 11 year old?

My son is showing some interest in fly fishing. (I couldn't find a Happy Dad icon)
I could buy him a youth outfit but I already have the rod mentioned in the title.
I was wondering want you guys think about him learning on a 9'.
It's a medium to medium fast rod with a double taper line.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A 9'0" - 6wt for an 11 year old?

Dave: Congrats on your son wanting to learn fly fishing! Yahoo!
When my son was growing up and graduated from a spinning rod, I started him on a 9ft 5 wt, but I don't see any reason your son couldn't learn on the six wt, especially since you already have the rod. Just go for it!

My son took an interest in fly fishing one day while we were Grayling fishing in AK. He was using small Mepps spinners and could always land one or two fish out of each pool, but he saw that I could land multiple fish from the same pool. Those fish are pretty smart and after you pull a couple fish out of the pool, they come to realize that Mepps spinner is danger. They would figure out my fly also after a couple fish, but then I would change flies and the game started all over.

Larry

Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A fellow in our club wrote a book called Fly fishing with Children. (sounds like bait fishing to me )
In it he suggests using a 9' rod as it keeps the fly further away from the face/body

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I ran a fishing school for some years,depends how tall your son is, and if he wants to fish mainly on dry nymph or streamer...9ft why not...but in my opinion a 4 or 5 wt would be more convenient.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

thanks rip...see I'm not the only one to think a 9ft will be ok
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I ran a fishing school for some years,depends how tall your son is, and if he wants to fish mainly on dry nymph or streamer...9ft why not...but in my opinion a 4 or 5 wt would be more convenient.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

thanks rip...see I'm not the only one to think a 9ft will be ok
I didn't think about how tall he is. I think he is short for his age, compared to others his age. He's just under 5'. As far as a 4wt for instance, I thought it's harder to learn with. Such as developing timing for casting? Maybe that has more to do with the lenght of the rod?

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A fellow in our club wrote a book called Fly fishing with Children. (sounds like bait fishing to me )
In it he suggests using a 9' rod as it keeps the fly further away from the face/body
Thanks Rip Tide, I ordered the book after seeing your post. For $5.13 that includes shipping, How could I go wrong. Heck, I'll probably learn something from it. As far as the fly, I learned by tying on a piece of tissue paper or a piece of yarn. It helped me to keep my focus on the cast rather than being stuck by a hook. LOL
Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I started my son (at age 9) with a 7'6" 4wt and he has done well with it. Last summer I gave him a faster action 4wt Sage and lined it with an Orvis Clearwater line.
Quote:
A weight-forward floating line with a special taper to help first-time casters.
The 9' rod would probably be fine, I don't think the length is critical. I'd keep both the total physical weight of the outfit and the line weight down, though. It's a lot easier to cast a 7' 3wt all day than a 9'6" 8wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by wabi; 01-27-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

This is close to the age I was when I learnt with a 9' 6wt and I still fish the same rod today only I had weight foward line.
now I wouldent think of getting rid of it because of how comftable it is for me

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dave,

I was 11 when I started, but had a pretty strong arm from playing baseball since 7. I started with an 8 1/2 foot rod (cheap fiberglass South Bend) with a level line, and had no body to show me anything. I switched to a GBF bass taper, and then quickly got the hang of it because I could feel its weight when casting. I have no idea what weight a GBF is, but would speculate probably a modern 8 wt.

I would be tempted to try a WF with a very short head on the 6 wt for that reason. But I suspect it will basically be a learning exercise for you both.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Jim,

It just so happens that I have a spare spool with #6WF... I figured it would be better if I left the double taper #6 on it because that's what the instructor suggested I learn with. Even though I bought the extra spool and WF line at the same time. But I agree with you about Randy learning with the WF line so he might be able to feel when the line loads the rod... Great suggestion!

I have a question about casting a 4wt vs. a 6wt rod. With the 6wt, I can feel when the rod being loaded. Is the 4wt rod being loaded by the 4wt line ajust as noticable? I hope I asked the question in type the as I have it in mind.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dave,

I just discovered that Jackster has a whole lot of experience teaching casting, and probably kids too. Hopefully, he'll see this and let us both know the best rig he's found for kids.

Cheere,
Jim