The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 PM

surveychet is on a distinguished road
Default Adhesive backed foam sheet or rolls

Does anyone know of a website or shop to purchase adhesive backed foam sheets to store flies ie. mount to the side of driftboat. Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Adhesive backed foam sheet or rolls

Im new to fly fishing but have you thought of buying regular foam an then just getting a can of adhesive spray.
You could use the adhesive according to the direction. Some of that spray is some wicked stuff. My dad an I use it to glue laminate down on table tops.
So Im sure it would hold some foam to the side of a boat.
Just a thought
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try double sided tape if you cannot locate any. Sorry, no I don't.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I asked a friend that owens a boat shop and he didnt know either. Just be carefull with the spray stuff, some of it will melt foam I'm sure.
I seen a guy in a john boat one time that had takeing thos foam swim noodlles like you buy at walmart, and cut a couple three foot sections and stuck on top of his gunnels to hang lures and stuff on.
Bear
Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Riverside Bulk Foam 1/4" with Adhesive Back #317A
Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi surveychet,

You can get it from Feather-Craft. It comes in three sizes.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
F-C Slotted Foam Boat Patch Medium

MEDIUM FEATHER-CRAFT SLOTTED FOAM PATCH Can be used as BOAT PATCHES or REPLACEMENT FOAM for your old fly boxes. Just cut to fit and peal the tape backing to adhere them in place. 11.25" x 7.5" x .375".
Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 AM

IthacaRodCo is on a distinguished road

I just got some from this website: Richard Wheatley Fly Boxes & Inserts Cheapest I could find, they were here in two days, and they're exactly what I was looking for.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I use that foam window seal tape. Get the heavy 1" tape (sometimes it comes with new air conditioners) & bput a few strips at various spots around the boat. I have a few wooden clothespins with the 3/8" foam tape on them. I keep a few on the vise stem & the light. I have one on my vest to hold the 2nd fly while rigging a nymphing setup etc. It's cheap & easy to replace.. If you want a sheet try some of those 1/8" foam sheets from a craftstore. I glued one to a board to display flies on after I tie them.......
Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Shake is on a distinguished road

I found some for my boat at Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls. One package came with 2 pieces. 1 piece was ribbed and 1 piece was flat, both pieces already had the adhesive applied. I think it was around $4.00
Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
HAH! A buddy of mine used to work there.

I would look for 1/4" sheets of foam at a craft store, and then use poster mounting tape (think foam itself, super sticky) to attach it to the side of the boat. (if I didn't want to buy the stuff from Feather Craft that looks pretty ideal.

Cliff Outdoors makes one with a magnet as well for very small stuff. Might be quite handy for stillwater anglers. Cliffs Float Patch

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.