The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 11:31 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Which Stonefly pattern is best ???

Good day to all,

I have been fly fishing for a long time & tie all my own flies. I cannot begin to tell you how many patterns
I have seen & tied over the years that try to mimic the ever popular STONEFLY.

I hope that this does not sound stupid, but which one is best ?? Which fly really looks like a stonefly ??
That's the whole idea isn't it to mimic the real life insect in order to "fool" the fish ??

The first stonely (real one) I saw was in a small slender specimen jar at my favorite local fly shop
swimming in formaldehyde. It was approximately 2 1/2"
long & was rather nasty looking. I know fish love these bugs & they may vary in size, etc.
depending on where you live.

But from your perspective or experience what pattern excels ?

Thanks,

Tie One On
Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I have finshed several Stonefly hatches. One of my favorite is on the Cimarron River in New Mexico in early June. I always use Stimulators. The Stimulator color and size will depend upon the hatch. The Stimulator is certainly not an exact, or even a good, replica of a true Stonefly... but it still works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stimulator.jpg (25.3 KB, 174 views)

Old 03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which Stonefly pattern is best ???

I'm a stimulator fan as well. It may not look much like that bug in the jar, but its quite possibly the most succesful stonefly pattern ever. Mike has posted a pic of a foam stone that looks pretty great as well, especially if you're after one that will plop in the water and still float.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Stonefly pattern is best ???

I agree the stimulator is a fantastic dry fly,but I have always considered it more of a attractor pattern that will work great when if stones are hatching or not,(works well as a hopper during mid summer to early fall as well).I have found fishing a particular stonefly imitation (the montana stone fly) will keep you in buisness almost anywhere stoneflies are found,I have tried being more exact fishing little yellow sally's and really trying to match the hatch but i have found the montana stone is a great generic all around stone fly,but if you see those giant stones hatching and the fish smashing around murdering them then it is definetly stimulator time!!!!btw I have been lucky enough to hit a salmon fly hatch in full swing on the Bow,and thank god I had a box full of stimulators they also have saved me when the hoppers where the only thing the trout would go for,all in all a fantastic fly

tight lines
Aaron