The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

agoodman220 is on a distinguished road
Default alan

I fish for bass almost 95 % of the time...most often on lakes. For my birthday wife wants to know which rod. I've narrowed it down to a 6wt Z-axis or a zxl...love my wife
Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: alan

Alan, welcome to the forum!

Those are both great rods, but are different in terms of casting style. You did not indicate your experience level, so I apologize if you already know this, but the Z-Axis is stiffer and faster than the ZXL. Theoretically, it should be able to throw bigger flies in wind, but might depend on your style or the size of the flies you actually use.

I am a ZXL person - I like the slower casting style (although the ZXL is definitely not a slow rod.). The main thing I wanted to point out is that you should try them before making a decision. I am one of the few people who simply cannot cast the Z-Axis. I can cast everything else in Sage's line (both slower and faster - I even own a 6 wt TCX) very well, but I just can't throw line w/ the Z-Axis.

For casting to large bass in lakes, you might even look at the TCX. If you are set on either the Z-Axis or ZXL, the Z-Axis might be better b/c as stated above, but there are others on here who know more about comparing them than me.

You should get a lot of responses to this topic; however, they might not see it b/c the name of the thread does not reflect your question. If you can, you might change the name of this thread to reflect your question to attract the people who can respond to your question - or, before other people start responding to this one, start a new thread w/ your question. If you do the latter, say so on this thread so people don't start posting on 2 separate threads.

Good luck and Happy Birthday!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodman220 View Post
I fish for bass almost 95 % of the time...most often on lakes. For my birthday wife wants to know which rod. I've narrowed it down to a 6wt Z-axis or a zxl...love my wife
Both good choices, but why not the Sage Bass rod (I want one so bad)
The ZXL is one of my choices, but not really designed to cast big air resistant flies, let alone pulling big bass out of lily pads or veggies.

The Z-Ax has the back bone for the flies, wind , etc, but the bass rod is just made for that and is a great trout rod too.

And Happy Birthday a head of time.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:52 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have a 10ft 6 wt Z axis and I have used it for bass and troutand it works wonderfully. The difference for me is I lined it up with a 7wt line to slow it down just a bit. I would also suggest a Sage Bass rod as they are awesome for yanking a big hog out of the weeds and brush. Plenty of backbone and they are lined for throwing big hairy bugs in the wind.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

My vote goes to the Z-Ax. If you are fishing good sized lakes you will have wind to deal with. I think your best bet is to cast both and make your choice. Try to pick a windy day to try them. It has a lot to do with your casting stroke and ability.

I think it was a good suggestion to change the title to something related to your question.

Frank
Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

I own both rods: A 3wt Z-ax that feels like a 5 wt and a 5wt ZXL that feels like a 3wt. I exaggerate but you get the point. Very different rods and for me, the Z-axis takes more effort although both are truly amazing rods.

Like everyone said, you need to try both.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

usus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
I own both rods: A 3wt Z-ax that feels like a 5 wt and a 5wt ZXL that feels like a 3wt. I exaggerate but you get the point. Very different rods and for me, the Z-axis takes more effort although both are truly amazing rods.

Like everyone said, you need to try both.
yup, try both might be the way to go.