The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Custom Dyna King base

Here's a custom Dyna King base I turned out today for a fellow in Oregon. This should definitely stop his vise from sliding around the bench!

Click the image to open in full size.

the764
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Custom Dyna King base

OK, how much?
Everytime I tye with Kevlar, and put my foot on the vice to pull it snug, the vice moves.
This would cure that problem.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-29-2011, 01:23 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Really nice machine work! I wonder why the guy you built it for (and others) don't just switch to the c-clamp base? My c-clamp base Barracuda stays nicely in one place no matter how hard I pull on thread. Must be a reason guys like the pedastal, I guess.

Gary
Old 01-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ghost: You sure do some nice machine work!

Larry

Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey there John,

I agree on the "You sure do nice machine work" that the fellows have commented on and am also waiting to find out the answer to the 'why not use a C clamp mount' question. I have never had a vise that was not a clamp type so I may be a bit dense on the issue

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2011, 06:07 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Ard - I got the answer to that on that "other" forum we go to...fellow has a roll top desk, and can't use the clamp as a result.

I can't imagine myself with a pedastal vise...I'd be chasing and pulling it all over my tying bench!

Glad the fellow this was made for, and it is some fine machining, got what he needed.
Gary
Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

I'm frequently asked why folks pay to have a custom component like this base machined by hand. I've encountered a number of reasons over the years.

Dyna King's C-clamp base is a fine product, well designed and produced from quality materials. In this particular case, the tying desk involved wasn't suited to the C-clamp base. The custom base I've machined is a great alternative and priced similarly to the Dyna King product. Sounds like a win to me!

On another level, a Chevrolet will get you most anywhere you need to go. For some reason though, purchasing a new Ferrari involves a waiting list with models often selling out before the first one is even assembled! Things built by hand, one at a time, start out having mojo. There's a story connected with such pieces and in some cases, we weave the individual stories into a greater tapestry that defines a significant portion of our lives. Most will have little use for such work as this, being content to settle for "good enough" or whatever happens to be available. A few, however, will feel the curvature of a part machined with care, or gaze into the soft glow of a hand-polished part and feel a connection with that piece and its maker that will never be found in a mass produced article.

I'll post this in that "other" forum, too. The Spey guys seem to be even more attuned to this sort of thing than average fly fishers, if you can believe that! Must somehow involve the influence of single malts.

the764
Old 01-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Just went through a lightening session. To much stuff.
As I threw away, gave away, and sold stuff, I came to a "hat rack".
It was just a board, with some mass produced hat hooks, screwed to it.
Why not get rid of it? But, the board is a hundred++ years old Hickory plank.
It was hand hewn. Each stroke of a very sharp tool still clearly visible.
There are easily two hundred separate actions involved in creating, just one side, of this "dimensional lumber" three feet long.
I'd salvaged it from a job I did, useing barn-wood in a pricey house interior.
The craftsman who created it, just to cover the sides of a barn so long ago, had taken great care, gave it the love.
I can't just look at it. I see with my woodworker eyes, and in my mind, I can hear his labors. I see him pause to sharpen his adz.
I see him make every stroke the same, for hours on end.
Once again, the hat rack made the cut. I'll continue to use it to hang my waders up at the end of another long day on the water.
In honor of a man's efforts so long ago.
(Maybe this will help a few folks see why I want a custom base, or not.)

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-30-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

Sweet. You turn some mean stuff.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Any idea how much it weighs?I have a dyna-king on a pedestal. I prefer it over my c-clamp vise. It doesnt move as much as one would think and the portability is great. Not to mention I can move the vice to me and dont have to move to the vice.
I am also in the process of converting my rolltop desk into my full time outdoor bench.

I can often be found bringing in my vise and some materials into work once a week to participate in crafty lunches. Which is basically where quite a few gals get together at lunch and do whatever craft they like while visiting and chatting. I will be cranking out flesh and leech patterns while they are beading and knitting. It is a good time though, the only guy and by far youngest person in the room just getting the gossip LOL!