The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default outstanding catch

Last sunday,I was to go fishing with my buddy Baptiste but couldn't because I got a lunch invitation.As the weather was unsettled,he decided to go to our nearest chub spot.Twenty years ago we could catch big trout in this area but now because of pollution,lack of water and silly regulation there are only chubs left and some carp.The chubs weren't very eager to bite,a sudden shower forced my friend to shelter under a tree on the bank.As the rain stopped and he was going to fish again,he saw a carp quietly coming towards the bank and feeding on the bottom.He got to the edge on all four and casted his nymph in front of the carp which moved slowly and caught the nymph as it gently fell on the sand.I don't do that for I'm frightened to have such a fish hung on my line but he did!So the carp started swimming straight on upstream like a truck or a tractor,he had to follow it for more than a hundred yards for his line and backing were out.After a long fight the carp got tired and he could take it in his arms and lay it on the grass.Unfortunately he didn't have his camera and could only measure it before releasing it:64 cm!Outstanding!That's a real exploit!
Rod :Scott A2 905
Line :WF 4
Reel :Vivarelli
Tippet :Asso 5x
nymph :black chub special
Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.
This big one was caught by my friend J Marc last week.
rod:Redington cpx 9,6ft
reel:Cordel
line:SA 5wt
tippet:Asso 5X
nymphlive chub special size 14.
That's a great catch!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Jbbfly,
Sorry to hear of the decline of a once productive trout water. The carp is a fighter. While I do not target them, there are many here in Colorado who fish voraciously for them. This one in your post is a beauty.
Some affectionately call the carp the "Golden Bonefish"

Last edited by yatahey; 08-02-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have caught some large carp while nymphing for brown trout where Lycoming Creek meets the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The first one I ever hooked happened in the dark and I thought I had hooked the new state record trout until I beached the fish and saw that it was a carp. After catching a few I learned to recognize the feel of a carp bulling the bottom. They are strong fish and great sport on a fly rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Jbbfly,
Sorry to hear of the decline of a once productive trout water. The carp is a fighter. While I do not target them, there are many here in Colorado who fish voraciously for them. This one in your post is a beauty.
Some affectionately call the carp the "Golden Bonefish"
I've always seen carps in this area even 30 years ago when there were nice browns...today there are only big chub and dace...and some stocked rainbows left by the"meaters".Pollution ,lack of water and silly regulations killed this stream.I've only got photos and great memories of the time when browns lived here...sad...but big chubs and dace are great fun and other flyfishermen don't care about them...

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have caught some large carp while nymphing for brown trout where Lycoming Creek meets the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The first one I ever hooked happened in the dark and I thought I had hooked the new state record trout until I beached the fish and saw that it was a carp. After catching a few I learned to recognize the feel of a carp bulling the bottom. They are strong fish and great sport on a fly rod.
Ard... you know we don't have salmon here...I've never caught one...only very big bows in a reservoir but I imagine how strong this fish can be...lucky you to live in Alaska.There's one thing you don't know ...in the begining of the 20th century we had the most beautiful salmon streams "gaves" (in the "pays basque")in Europe,some English lords wanted to buy them...now french salmon fans have to go abroad to catch one...
JP
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Ard: Great story, had me laughing thinking you had a huge trout only to find out in the end it was a carp. Oh well, at least it was a good fight and a fun time!

Larry