The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 PM

G Whiz is on a distinguished road
Default FNG to Fly Fishing

Hi Everyone!!!!

I have finally decided to take up the sport of Fly Fishing and need the wisdom of this forum's members:

1.) Fly Fishing Lessons in the SF Bay Area. I have fished conventional and spinning for most of my 40+ years, but never fly fished before; I would like to take lessons.

2.) Beginner Trout Fly Gear (Rod/Reel) - Looking for a beginner/intermediate gear; not to cheap and something I can continue to use for a couple of years.

3.) Terminal Tackle - Lines, Leaders, etc. for trout fishing is rivers and lakes in Northern California.

4.) Any club outtings in Nor Cal???

Thanks!!!

Glen
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: FNG to Fly Fishing

Hello FNG!

I was the FNG last month.

I can't help you out on the NorCal advice.

The first rod I bought was a 9' 5 weight Sage. I never regretted it. I actually didn't appreciate the rod until about two years later. It took me that long to be able to distinguish a quality rod from a broomstick.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy your new found hobby and ifriends.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

PM sent.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Glen welcome to the board. You may want to check out some of the stuff in the FAQ section and browse some past threads on the forum too. As far as you questions go,

1. Leyland is a pretty well respected fly shop in San Fran, and they offer intro fly fishing instruction, including casting lessons on the casting pools at Golden Gate Park
About Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters

2. There are tons of options for gear depending on your budget, ranging from beginner outfits for 100 (for rod, reel, line) to high priced rods/reels that run into big bucks that could cost upwards to 1,300 bucks to put a top of the line outfit together. But I think you're wise to look for something that will be good to get started, but also something that you can grow into as your casting improves. You might want to consider something like:

Rod: Sage Launch 9’ 5 weight (four piece for easy airline travel) at around 245 bucks,

Reel: Lamson Konic size 2.0 at around 129 bucks

Line: Good quality floating weight forward taper like a Rio Grand, to match rod ( i.e. 5 weight line for 5 weight rod) about 70 bucks

Again, there are a lot of other rods and reels that will fit the bill, and there are many good choices at different price points, whatever your budget. I’d recommend you take a casting class before you buy, and test out a few different rods during and after the class. (if you take a class make sure you can arrange to borrow gear when you book it.)

3. A good fly shop can help you set up here with fly patterns and rigging. One of the advantages of buying from a fly shop (as opposed to a big box store) is that you can take advantage of their expertise

4. Leylands and the very respected The Fly Shop in Redding CA THE FLY SHOP - FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT, GUIDE SERVICES, AND INTERNATIONAL FLY FISHING TRIPS offer on-water instruction, and you may want to consider a guided trip to get you started after you practice some casting. The Fly shop has schools that are worth looking into as well. As a “stream reports section that can tell you what is going on in No CA streams.

I’d also highly recommend doing a search for local chapters of Trout Unlimited or for clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers. These groups offer informative meetings, casting clinics, group trips and in the case of the FFF, you can do a search for certified instructors by clicking on the “Casting Certification “ tab.

Here a link for TU Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

And for FFF Locate a Club

Good luck, keep asking questions -- lot's of folks her that can help you get off to a good start.

mark
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Glen,

You happen to be close to the best casting club in the US. The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. It is located in the Golden Gate Park.

Back around 1954 I spent one day at the casting ponds and learned a great deal. I was lucky that Jon Tarantino was practicing that day. He was the champion single handed rod caster during the 50's. They have programs for new fly casters and I would make it a point to seek them out. Just going to the casting ponds and watching can be an education in its self.

You need to break down your questions and just ask one or maybe two things in a thread. You will get much better responses.

Frank
Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 AM

G Whiz is on a distinguished road

Thanks ALL for the advice... getting overwhelmed on the gear; I WANT ALL of it!

I'll check out the sites and get back on my progress...

Thanks again!