The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well Made Zingers?

Most of you know that I am a newbie to flyfishing and after reading the comments on the Able nippers, I have another question.

What zinger would you trust to hold $100.00 nippers or any other item cherished by the owner.

Dave
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Well Made Zingers?

Hi Dave,

I have use many different types. The most convenient are the round zinger style. I like the ones with a metal line. The problem with zingers is they will all fail with heavy use. The operate from a spring and the spring gives out. The most reliable that I have used is the Simms style. I have a couple that I have used for more years than I can remember. But even with these the spring of the wire coils can start to get tired and not retract quite as far as when new.

Frank

Simms Retractor
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

LD123, Gear keepers, is the brand I trust most now.
They use a bit heavier materials (spring, tether).
They make a few sizes, the largest will guard my large long handled net.
The smallest will take care of pricey nippers.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Fishpond Zingers. They don't come off - which has been a problem for me with zingers. I've used a lot of them and I think the way the Fishpond attaches to your vest, pack, etc. is by far the best. No matter how well the clip that holds your nippers or hemos is if the zinger is gone, so is what is attached to it. The retractor is similar to the Simms pictured above, but it is a little longer and gives you more pull if you're using if for your hemos and need to pull down to release a hook. I have used the Simms one and the problem I had with it was it released on me from my jacket. YMMV.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm still using a cheesy 5 buck round zinger for my nippers-which,BTW, until very recently were old nail clippers with an added pin for clearing hook eyes- but I did start pinning the zinger to the inside of my vest and running the clip to the nippers out thru a small hole I cut in the vest. Mostly so the zinger isn't snaggy. But if it does come unpinned, it can't fall off:the zinger won't fit thru the hole.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

Being rather new myself .. I went with the Dr. Slick brand ... so far (with limited use .. dang it) I have had no problems.
They may quit on me next week or month ... we'll see.

Gordon in NC
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Another vote for the Simms Retractor.

I had one fail after 3 years of heavy use, so I can't recommend hanging $100 nippers on them.

I also have no idea why someone would spend that much on nippers.

If you want something like that from Abel, buy something that's supposed to go in a pocket, not dangling over the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Dave

I'd second either the Simms or Fishpond. Have both and they are much better then the old round ones.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I'll also recommend the Fishpond zinger. It is well made and the way it attaches is superb. I have confidence that it will not come undone and fail on me. The Simms version is a close second. I have moved away from the round type as they do give out in a short period of time and won't retract all the way leaving the items dangling a little further down than I would like.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

one more vote for the fishpond. i lost mine, but only because someone stole my fishing bag. i imagine it's still on there somewheres.... i have a simms too that frank illustrated and i like it almost as well. i just don't care for the long pin design attachment the simms uses.

eric
fresno, ca.