The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

usus is on a distinguished road
Default Valentine Gift Idea For my hubby?

I'm not sure it is appropriate section. I just wanna ask for your advice here;
My husband is a is a fishing geek, but has everything he wants, too! He usually buys his Christmas or B-day present online, and then will hand me the delivery box to wrap and say it's "from" me. Makes it easy, I guess, but for once I'd like to surprise him. . . So I just wanna buy practical stuff say something related fishing for him as this V-day gift. Are sunglasses similar like these nice? Any other good idea?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Valentine Gift Idea For my hubby?

Let me be the first to suggest the item discussed in the "nippers" thread next to this one...
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi usus,

JoJer has beat me to it but the new Able Nipper would be an excellent choice. It is something he may never buy for his self. He would use it every time he goes fishing. You can get a black one for $50 and a fancy painted one for $100. You can see a thread about them here.

Sun glasses would not be the best choice unless you can find out what color lens he wants. Have you considered a gift certificate to Feather-Craft or another on line fly fishing store? Then you know for sure he will get what he wants.

Frank

Able Nippers
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 01-31-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Let me be the first to suggest the item discussed in the "nippers" thread next to this one...
The next time I read one your posts, I'll sure to not take a sip of coffee!
ROTFL
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You guys beat me to the Abel Nippers. Just a correction on Frank's response. All solid colors are $50, not just black. I have a purple set coming from Abel for my girlfriend's Valentine's Day present.

MP
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Or you could buy quality $10 nippers and buy him something else that does not have a $40 Nametag. Just my opinion. I am not cheap, and I have no problem paying for quality, but such opulance and name brand grabbing is just not my thing. IMO it would be a waste of money and I would want to return them (though that would be rude, so I would suffer through it and use them ). Don't get me wrong, if I happened to find a pair I would be more than happy to use them, but if they were given to me it would be a sincere "aw, you shouldn't have; really" kind of reaction.

If, on the other hand, he enjoys the novelty of owning the "pricier", and unique things in life, then he may enjoy them. It depends on his mindset I suppose, because as anyone can see, that is a ridiculous amount of money for a pair of nippers. If he has many frugal sentiments, this is probably not the gift for him.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
You guys beat me to the Abel Nippers. Just a correction on Frank's response. All solid colors are $50, not just black. I have a purple set coming from Abel for my girlfriend's Valentine's Day present.

MP
Thanks MP, I wonder if you could try and cut 20 or 30 pound super braid made with Spectra. I would like to know that before I buy one.

Frank
Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Thanks MP, I wonder if you could try and cut 20 or 30 pound super braid made with Spectra. I would like to know that before I buy one.

Frank
It can cut through 50 pound test Scientific Angler Spectra, so 20 to 30 pound test shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Do you have a certain price range you are looking in, does he tie flies also?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

An out of state fishing license might be a good gift. I stick in state because I can't justify spending $70 on an out of state tag plus trout stamp. Is there a stream he wants to fish the next state over?