The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default "Losers and Finders"

This seemed like a natural thread.
Give us those heart wrenching stories of loss (fishing related only).
Share too, the blessings of booty (fishing only please).
Perhaps, we can even reconnect the losers with the finders.
I find gear almost every trip. Lose some too! (At least flies!)

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Losers and Finders"

Lamster sent me an email this morning and he mentioned floating the lower Hooch over the weekend and he lost his new St.Croix 9ft. flyrod...dang thing slid right out of the boat after hitting a rock in the river.......That had to hurt!

Larry

Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Have never lost anything while fishing and now that I think about it, that's hard to believe.

Found a nice Schrade Walden fillet knife while swimming once but never anything else of consequence. Living in the south we don't have the wade fishing like up in the north.

Dave
Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

..... I've lost fish.....

Found a rig once. Recognized it as belonging to one of the few fly fishers around here. Couldn't remember who-- so I sold it on eBay....

JUST KIDDING--I knew I'd see him again and was able to return it to him just 3 days later. Didn't know his tele # or where he lived-- just that he was at a hole that I frequent about as much as I'm there....
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

The river I guide on in Alaska is a popular float destination. I'm always on the look for gear left behind at campsites our dropped out of the raft. Only things so far are rusty pocket knives and little camping equipment here and there. Still waiting for that rod tube to go floating by.....
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I was meeting a friend on the river one day and as I was coming down the hill to find him I ran across an empty rod tube. I thought sweet a worthwhile river score for a change so I picked it up and headed downstream to meet up with my buddy. Low and behold I get to the hole he was fishing and he had a buddy with him. He looked at me and said "did you see a rod tube laying on the ground up there"? I looked at him and said yeah I guess I saved you a trip up river eh. Sure beat finding a pair of pliers but had to give it back
Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

I must have watched half a dozen pair of sunglasses hit the water and spiral down into the murk. A small fortune's worth of bass lures.

I once found a Shimano Calcutta reel, but it had been in the drink a while and was locked up tight and full of sand.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

this sucks,
custom made diamondback 5 weight with matching cimarron reel and sa line. as well as my own hand built 9' 8 weight lamiglass with a gunnison g4 and 444 lazerline. all stolen out of my friends trunk.:ico n_cry:

ARFE
Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Caseywise OMG that hurts, I have been luckey a few times when I forgot to take my rod out of the car over night

The best I have found was a landing net a real nice one had it for years before it needed replaced.

Ive lost plenty of knives, a box full of streamers all tyed by me

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Last season, a client with a new sage rod, and his buddy were learning to get a drift.
Until you get it right, not much happens fish wise.
They hadn't hooked up yet, and asked to see me do it.
Sure enough, a demo fish helped out with the lesson.
The client with the new rod was down stream from me, so I led the fish to where he was standing, to let him see what they look like. He deftly netted the fish, we marveled over the colors of a rainbow, then he did a clean release.
As he stood up again, he got a funny look on his face.
"Where is my rod" he says?
I instantly dropped my rod in the water to see how far a rod/reel might drift in the current.
To get some idea of the area we should search.
After about an hour of fruitless wading about, the traumatized fisherman made a break for the car. He said he was going to drive to town, buy a diving mask, and come back.
It was clear to me, that the morning of fishing delight was over.
And a day of agony and regret was starting.
Just then his buddy and I spy fly line running along the stream bottom.
Amazingly, his dropper fly had hung on a rock, and we followed the line to the rod about thirty yards down-current.
Emotionally, as a group, we were done.
We repaired to some shade for a beverage, and breathed a collective sigh of relief.
I called the morning 1/2 day a wash, and got them to come back for an evening session instead. After a burger and some BSing, we tried again.
"Another song about tragedy narrowly averted."GD
Guiding can be a very stressful occupation.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.