The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Paul D will become famous soon enoughPaul D will become famous soon enough
Default Re: large trout not getting hooked properly

Edited by Curtis.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:50 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

i can see why you would be against fishing for spawning browns here , or native rainbows in the river.. .. the rainbows that are spawning in the lakes are a different thing tho.. they are steril.. and they returning in mass to the very area they were released.. they are steril (they used to be, please correct me if i am wrong) so they dont interfere permantly with the native fish if they wish to discontinue them or they get introduced into the river below thru the dam somehow.. .. the steril fish are put into the lakes for anglers to catch fish, take them home and eat them, by the fish and game.. .. altho i dont eat them i release them unharmed, most anglers here take them home.. not the fly fishermen ive met tho.. but most anglers here arnt fly fishermen.. if fact this is only the second time ive heard of people not fishing for spawners in my life.. both of them today.. most elk here shot by archers are taken during the rut, when they are called close to the archer, and they are tricked.. i suppose this could be seen as cheating, when the archers feel it is less admirable to use a rifle when the rut is over.. we defiantly resist out of staters comming here and running for office and trying to make this into thier home state.. the very state they had to move out of becouse of the rules, regulations, and the problems they wanted to get away from.. .. dave.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

See!!!... there is always two sides to each and every story. All anyone needs to do is be courteous and be patient. The full story will eventually be brought out. This topic can easily be discussed in a gentlemanly manner.

Dave... thanks for your response and explanation. Most of all... thank you for presenting it in a respectful manner.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I am one that is kind of torn on the spawn issue. I stay away from the redds and don't fish to spawners but have noticed that it seems the only spawn that gets any attention around here is the browns. The funny thing is that this is the fish that needs the least protection. Everyone goes nutty around fall about the brown redds but come spring when the rainbows are on their spawn I never hear anything.

I have wondered when fishing some of these overly populated brown trout streams if a few redd shuffles might not be a good thing.

There is a stream here that the DWR is always asking people to take a few browns home from. The thing is that I hate eating browns. I like about every other trout on the grill but browns taste dirty to me. So, would I also not help the fishery by doing a little dragging through a couple of redds?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Paul D,
I want to encourage you to continue posting and here is why. I'm fairly new to the sport and I thrive on learning all I can about fly fishing. When I saw your first post I said to myself just another jerk carrying a chip on their shoulder about an issue that needs to be addressed and not know how to address it. But with your second post I was really impressed. I learned something new and I appreciated it. Please continue to post your knowledge of fly fishing whenever you can.

Personally, I would not knowingly fish for spawning trout because of the environments in which they live in are so fragile and threaten by so many other issues, I would be afraid to hurt their population. If it is legal in your state to catch spawning trout and your Wildlife & Fish Department does not see a threat in the area in which you live then it would be legal but I believe sooner or later it may hurt the trout species somewhere down the line.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

One thing that I don't believe was mentioned is if you are casting upstream and doing a dead drift with your leech, make sure you do a downstream hookset, if you do an upstream or straight up hookset, you may actually be pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth. A down stream hookset will put the hook in the corner of the mouth most of the time and the hook will be buried in a part of the mouth that has something to grab onto. A dead drift with a leech is a deadly way to catch fish on the San Juan for a good part of the year. Just a thought.

Paul
Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Hey Paul... good point

Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Might sound kinda stupid, but with all the great advise you have gotten here, I would like to add, you say you are fishing a wooly bugger, is the tail too long and they aren't getting to the hook.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Re: large trout not getting hooked properly

Might sound kinda stupid, but with all the great advise you have gotten here, I would like to add, you say you are fishing a wooly bugger, is the tail too long and they aren't getting to the hook.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:16 PM