The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road
Default Please help me figure this out

I will start out with some info on the creek It is just comeing down from run off in the last 2 weeks its pretty clear and I have caught quite a few fish off it in the last week or so well anyways I was out there tonight and saw the BIGGEST hatch of caddis I have ever seen I have been fly fishing for about 7 years and have never seen of any thing like this when I would cast my line would cut into the cloud of caddis I fished about 5 diff places on the creek and I did not see one fish rise I also fished subsurface and nothing it was like there were not any fish in the creek at all???? Iam confused please explain

thanks

colton
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Please help me figure this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonwynn View Post
I will start out with some info on the creek It is just comeing down from run off in the last 2 weeks its pretty clear and I have caught quite a few fish off it in the last week or so well anyways I was out there tonight and saw the BIGGEST hatch of caddis I have ever seen I have been fly fishing for about 7 years and have never seen of any thing like this when I would cast my line would cut into the cloud of caddis I fished about 5 diff places on the creek and I did not see one fish rise I also fished subsurface and nothing it was like there were not any fish in the creek at all???? Iam confused please explain

thanks

colton
Colton,

I can't offer any help, just sympathy. You described the same scenario I had about a month ago. Caddis flies thick as thieves, flying up and down the banks of a stream. The fish were no where to be seen.

The week before there were just a few caddis splashing the water and the fishing was good.

Not sure what to make of it.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 PM

It was kinda funny now its all over with driving up the stream seeing the swarms of caddis I was thinking to my self man this is going to be the best dry fly fishing I have ever had and bam not one strike lol
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

If the air is full of flies, does that mean the water is full of emergers? Maybe the fish are gorging on the nymphs below the surface.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Jake,

I don't know about Colton, but I tried everything I could think of short of a car battery and some probes.

The week prior to the biblical swarm of caddis, I was doing pretty good on both dries and nymphs.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Unexplained phenomenon to be sure, I have seen thick hatches of Grey Fox / March Brown mayflies in the east that seemed to disinterest the trout. I found that fishing a #20 Blue Quill in the midst of the size 10 - 12 mayflies was a killer. Why the fish would turn down a Grey Fox of matching size to the natural with a perfect drift I'll never know but they were taking very small flies amongst the big ones.

You describe a different scenario in that there was no feeding whatsoever, to that I have only a guess. In the north east we had Gypsy Moths larva (caterpillar) that would fall into the water in mass but the fish would not feed on them. My opinion is that Gypsy Moth caterpillars do not taste good to trout. Perhaps the trout where you fish sampled the caddis hatch and determined that they were unpalatable. Until I would read a better theory I stand by taste or playability.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The ol'blizzard hatch. A blessing and a curse all rolled up into one.

My thoughts would be that the fish have already gorged themselves on Emerging Caddis, often the Caddis will start emerging a couple hours before the main hatch.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Jakeway;62592]If the air is full of flies, does that mean the water is full of emergers? Maybe the fish are gorging on the nymphs below the surface.[/QUOTE

I tried every thing as well every dry in my box ranging from a #22 gnat to a size 6 salmon fly and every thing between and a size 20 scud to a size 4 rubber legs nothing at all
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
The ol'blizzard hatch. A blessing and a curse all rolled up into one.

My thoughts would be that the fish have already gorged themselves on Emerging Caddis, often the Caddis will start emerging a couple hours before the main hatch.
I think fysh is on target with this one. If you're seeing a blizzard hatch; imagine the shear amount of pupae that had to be in the water prior to the hatch.

Dan
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fysh has a point here. I went with the taste angle because you said that you had tried subsurface flies but if in fact you got there hours after the all you can eat buffet opened it is possible that they were all watching TV or sleeping.

I call this effect F.D.S. known as Fat Dog Syndrome, this is what happens to humans (and dogs, thus the name) after a huge meal. Think Thanksgiving dinner, remote control, the game, and nodding off. More turkey? Not likely.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;