The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How competitive is your fly fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have had a second thought and would like to put it up here for your consideration;

You, my fellow fishermen & women know that the periods when we are not catching fish are why we have found pleasure in birding, photography, wildflower identification, and general naturalism. If you do not partake in one of these extracurricular activities I would advise you to enhance your time astream by doing so. Your reward will come when you can share some of your knowledge with friends and your photographs will become treasured memories of your days afield & stream.
I think that's good advice, and, for me (and probably a lot of us), a love of nature was a big part of what got me into fishing. At the same time -- and I'm willing to look like a goon here -- there are times when I want to catch fish. I might have overstated it in my previous email. It's not like I get skunked and go home and fume (more often than not, on a day that I get skunked, I still leave the water happier than I arrived).

I do think that there's kind of a nicety in fly fishing writing and conversation that says that the fish don't matter, but if that was the case, why would I be fishing instead of hiking (which I occasionally do)? I think it's easy to overstate the idea -- again, for some of us -- that we don't care at all at any time if we catch anything.

I'm realizing this might be getting a little off-topic, because that's only tangentially relevant to competitiveness (as in, "Can I catch more or bigger fish than my buddy?"). I don't think I really am competitive in that sense any more, but there's probably a tiny part of me that is.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Though I hate to admit it, I must have a competitive streak in me! I just love it when I'm fishing with a fish counter or size freak and I manage to sometimes whip their butts! That's about as competitive as it gets for me. I also gave up on fly fishing competitions because they somehow take something away from the sport... for me anyhow.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not competitive about my fly fishing at all..............at least not until there's another fisherman within eyeshot
Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

My biggest competitor used to be myself. I started years ago flyfishing with a friend who taught me not only how to flyfish but how to relax when doing it. We would take a break and go back to his pickup and open the tailgate and put on a pot of coffee and cook some hot dogs and watch the fish jump while we took a break. Then when I started to fish alone I would take a break and relax. But when I didn't catch any fish I wouldn't take a break until I did. I became obsessed with catching a fish and the harder I tried the less I caught. I finally stopped for a year until I could refocus. I took up flyfishing to relax and became more stressed than ever. I took it back up and learned a lot, caught more fish and relaxed doing it. I hardly ever go to the river without a thermos of coffee in my backpack and a candy bar for my breaks! I love to catch fish but the success of a day in the woods and river is not always in the catch (although it is nice!)
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I hardly ever go to the river without a thermos of coffee in my backpack and a candy bar for my breaks!
I will say that a streamside lunch is almost a necessity. One of the finest meals I've had it the past few years was simply a protein bar and some water while sitting on a rock in the middle of a stream a few miles away from civilization.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a plan to me! For me, a bologna sandwich and a cup of coffee sitting by the riverside-what a day!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)