The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default How competitive is your fly fishing?

How competitve is fly fishing for you? Is it important to catch more fish than your buddies? Bigger fish? A few weeks ago on the Arkansas River I caught the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen...the colors were just unusually vibrant. But it wasn't that large, probably about 10 inches. Shouldn't that fish rank especially high for beauty.

When I was starting out I spent a whole day on a stream and didn't catch anything. But I had a great day. The stream was lovely, I was the only person out there, and I felt I was fishing and casting better by the end of the day. I still fondly remember that fishless day.

I'd be more greedy now. I probably could not enjoy a fishless day. Something has been gained and something has been lost.

"Truth is beauty, beauty truth. That's all you know on earth and all you need to know." Keats

"The measure of a good fisherman is not how big a fish he can catch, but how small a fish he can catch and still enjoy it." Gierlack
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How competitive is your fly fishing?

Gator,

When I was young I participated in competitive sports. These were games where the speed and physical strength of the players were tested against one another.

Fly fishing is an escape for me from all sort of competition real or imagined. If someone wanted to compete with me fishing I would not fish with that person no offense intended. If someone wanted to teach me something about fly fishing I would welcome the opportunity to be in their company.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I am with Ard my fly fishing is an escape. Life is competitive enough fly fishing takes me away from the the weekly grind. I find fly fishing to be very calming and relaxing. I would think fishing competively would be like having another job.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Mine is not competitive at all. I guess if it were I would not mostly fish small creeks and tribs. For me the fishing aspect is 50% of the experience. Hell when I fish with others sometimes I will just sit and watch them fish for a bit. I do not care if my fishing partner catches more than me or even if they catch the largest fish.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Another vote for Ard.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Aard once more...when I was younger I enjoyed fishing alone...then I started loving fishing with friends.And I was lucky to meet some oustanding flyfishermen who taught a lot(the fischmeister).Last saturday I went fishing with my friend Jean-Marc whose wife has serious health problems,I did my best to make him forget his sorrow for a while and was far more pleased when he caught fish on nymph on sight than when I caught one myself, everytime I tapped his shoulder to congratulate him and his smile was my best "catch" of the year.I don't like flyfishing competitions although some of my friends take part in them.My friend Jan was world champion with the french team in the us,when we fish together and he catches more fish than I do,he never tells me or show me he's better than me in any way and when it's the contrary which sometimes happens I don't make fun of him,it would be stupid.I'll always remember this afternoon we spent on a catch and release but very difficult to fish little stream together,we were in great shape and could put our flies where we wanted,it was a blessed day,like a golf or a tennis player who succeeds in all what he attemps to do....but... we didn't catch any fishso I think you'll find the moral of this story....
Old 06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

No, not usually, unless my wife is really putting it to me, but even then I just bite my lip and try to move on because there's no sense in extending the misery. lol

Sasha, it seems like I read that your in the I.F. area, Are you heading to I.P. this weekend?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

I don't think I'm very competitive exactly anymore (although my Dad and I and friends and I used to have plenty of contests when I was a kid). Dad and I still joke about it when we're out, but I'm just as happy if the other person does well (and now, as my wife is just learning to fish, I would LOVE for her to catch more than me, any day).

I will admit, though, that there are days when not catching fish, or not catching many is a downer. I'm starting to think through it a little bit on my blog (Anglenook) and will continue to be doing so, but I think there are a few factors for me:

1) Why am I out on a given day? Sometimes it's an escape from daily stress, but sometimes, as one writer said, it's not an escape from life but an escape into life. Sometimes I just want to be somewhere pretty, doing something nice. On those days, I don't care if I catch fish. Other days I want to be engaged with the fish themselves. It's disappointing if I don't at least get some hook-ups.

2) Expectations. If I'm going somewhere difficult or full of small fish, then I'm satisfied if my results line up. If I'm going somewhere that I think I can really do well, and then don't, then I'm more likely to be disappointed. This factor is probably less a consideration than #1. Some days I'm content to be watching birds, wildlife, whatever, even if I thought I'd have a fish-filled outing.

3) Time on the water. If it's a period in my life when I can get out a lot (I used to fish daily through high school, and similar during college summers), any given outing matters a lot less to me. If it's a period where getting time on the water is a challenge, I sometimes can't shake the feeling that it's been wasted time if I have a bad outing. Not always - just sometimes. If you've had to arrange childcare, call in a favor, etc., and then spend a few hours proving no such creature called a trout exists, then it can feel more like futility than like valuable time in nature.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have had a second thought and would like to put it up here for your consideration;

You, my fellow fishermen & women know that the periods when we are not catching fish are why we have found pleasure in birding, photography, wildflower identification, and general naturalism. If you do not partake in one of these extracurricular activities I would advise you to enhance your time astream by doing so. Your reward will come when you can share some of your knowledge with friends and your photographs will become treasured memories of your days afield & stream.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Sasha, it seems like I read that your in the I.F. area, Are you heading to I.P. this weekend?

Nope I am not in the I.F. area. If I were it would make a lot of my day trips much shorter As far as this weekend I think I am going to sit it out for a couple of reasons. The first is that I have been fishing a lot lately and the second is that this SAT is free fishing day in Idaho. Plus I have a pretty cool trip planned for the 21st to a nice little creek (hopefully the flows wont still be too high).