The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Midge Presentation

OK. You may do this already, but I worked hard for this synthesis.
Combine the "Budda's Palm alert" technique, with a disciplined strip-set, rather than rod set.
I patiently observe the line lying in my strip hand, it moves, and my hand closes lightly and pulls. The final key!
I say lightly because you might have to quickly let line go!
Rod tip down, see if you can keep the rod tip in the water, don't lift, you must resist the urge to lift!!!!!
Straight-line, slow-pull-tight till you sense their resistance. Then strip set harder. I only lift my rod well after they are on.
Three things happen, if you can do this my fellow midge fishers.
1. You hook more fish/miss less. Often avoiding small-fly in a big-mouth syndrome.
2. You don't over-set. Not setting too hard on a surprise big fish, breaking off.
A size appropriate set, because you can feel how big it is first. (Lil head shaker, or annoyed submarine leaving at high speed)
3. Should you miss a take (it happens), you've left your fly (midge) in the area (8-10""strip-set), not pulled nine ft. away.(rod set.)
They will often circle back musing, "how did I miss that?" Think bug sharks.
HA!

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-18-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff bigfly...

Dave
Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I got ahold of some 2mm gunmetal glass beads I can't wait to try!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Jim, you have been yet to fail me at being constructive and so humorous in every post I have read by you. I would just like to say thank you

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Ha! I sound like master Po. "If you can leave your tip in the water, you will have learned".

Ha..It's not deep science, just thousands of hours, and many missed fish.
I get tired of missing fish. No, really tired.
So I look for ways to reduce escapes. How do they most often occur? Then, eliminate those options for them.

That's all.

Jim

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Thanks shawn.
"If they have to eat, and they can't leave the water, I figure we have them surrounded."

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-19-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Great info, just when you think you have tried everything you learn something new. I have never fished in still water with midges and now look forward to a new frontier. This forum is a great resource for knowledge. Thanks for all the input.

[QUOTE]OK. You may do this already, but I worked hard for this synthesis.
Combine the "Budda's Palm alert" technique, with a disciplined strip-set, rather than rod set.
I patiently observe the line lying in my strip hand, it moves, and my hand closes lightly and pulls. The final key!
Rod tip down, see if you can keep the rod tip in the water, don't lift, you must resist the urge to lift!!!!!
Straight-line, slow-pull-tight till you sense their resistance. Then strip set harder. I only lift my rod well after they are on.
1. You hook more fish/miss less. Often avoiding small-fly in a big-mouth syndrome.
2. You don't over-set. Not setting too hard on a surprise big fish, breaking off.
A size appropriate set, because you can feel how big it is first. (Lil head shaker, or annoyed submarine leaving at high speed)
3. Should you miss a take (it happens), you've left your fly (midge) in the area (8-10""strip-set), not pulled nine ft. away.(rod set.)
HA!

Jim/QUOTE]
Jim,
Do you employ this mostly in still water from a float tube or boat? Or do you use a strip set technique more often then just lifting your rod in fast water as well?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
OK. You may do this already, but I worked hard for this synthesis.
HA!

Jim
True story. So many styles, all correct.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Honestly, it's a common streamer technique that I made myself learn.
"Don't lift the damn tip stupid" Every time I rod set like a big dog, and broke the fish of the week/month/year/life, off. Or pulled my streamer away and spooked the only interested fish I've seen all day by rod setting!!!! When, if I had done a full body shudder, kept the rod tip in the water and left the fly there, done a sexy twitch strip, he would have eaten it for sure!!
I utilize the now ingrained habit elsewhere. (Midging).
Wading, tubing. boating, whatever. Moving water is a little different during parts of the drift, but when my fly is up stream of me, or mostly down stream of me, it is the perfect place to strip set. The middle portion of the drift is high sticked, with a down-stream sweep with the rod if I get the love.
The thing is, this might not come easily. Most fishermen rod set, and always have, and probably always will, because of that fact.
Unlearning a conditioned response is harder than learning the response in the first place. You have to want it more. Practice it until you do it while dream fishing at night in bed.
Had a friend who wanted a fish, got blanked a whole season of tries. Rod set every bloody time, after many misses, cajoling, tongue lashing etc, he would still rod set.
New season, before he got in the boat , I had him say strip set a dozen times. "What are we gonna do? strip set", show me! At the same time he made the motion with his hands, holding the rod/line. First fish take of the year, STRIP SET!!! Fish on baby!!
I still lift once in a while without thinking, 35 yrs of HABIT might take a while to extinguish.
The point is for me, when I apply my honed fish-ninja skills, show discipline, and stay awake. My fish stats go way up.
It's about good process, and the result is more fish, bigger fish, more often, fewer mistakes.
Levity is good, we can get too serious, but don't be fooled.
I am as serious as a heart attack on honing the skills.
I am a full time fishing, seal team leader. Air land or sea 24/7
Bring it on Mr fish.
I crack myself up. But it's true.
What was the original question?
Seriously again, I'm not against a rod set. I still use it on a few occasions. When moving a bunch of line slack off the water (a far drift), a 9ft rod lift does far better, than a strip set could. How long is your arm? That's the max strip set length. So strip range is a 1-5" midge-swim-distance" twitch out to say three feet plus as a swimming fry.. Anything over that, rod lift.
Dry fly fishing I do lift about 50% of the time. The rest I strip. If your rod tip is down, line is straight-out, flat on the water and nearly no slack to the fly. When the fish eats said fly, you can strip set in a fraction of a second, gunfighter style (Squint eyes and all).
A rod set is slow by comparison. (of course too fast is another topic.)
Mainly just try to make your body more aware. Make it learn a new discipline. Engage manual override. It's hilarious at first, you'll struggle mightily to keep the rod tip down, "quivers" may be a short term symptom, You'll do 1/2 & 1/2s, a little lift/strip....you will miss fish. Then, like my buddy, one day the fish will reinforce the new behavior, and bingo you've got it.
it may take this whole season and more of next's too. But you will have taken the game to another level. At that level is a another level of fish to test your game.
And so it goes....

Jim

Coy, you're on it. If there is always something new , then there is a never-ending adventure and exploration ahead. And nobody can learn/know it all.
so, like I said before, we all need help.
BD2421, 2mm beads, oh yeah!
I've thought about writing a novel entitled "Bead confessions" Binge behavior at the bead store. Every town has one it seems, and I must look....
Sorry for running on...

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Jim, Larry great tips

Midge fishing is a major weakness for me, doing so well with mayflys and caddis for so long has made me largely ignore midge, there are some waters near by that have large numbers of fish that will take nothing else. Yet I have struggled to dectect light takes, and am having the rod set struggle too.......and the not moving the fly too much because I want action I think the addition of the budda palm alert, and other ninja fish skills should keep my hands busy enough to get some on thus reinforcing this new good behavior.

Ive just watched the midges part of that video, excellent I see that there is more of the serries for latter.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Chris, I would have bet money, that I would never care about bugs in the water.
Maybe in the air, or on the water, but not underneath, let alone the smallest of bugs a fisherman might fish!
Then, many years into fly-fishing, and denial, I realized that really big fish eat little bitty bugs (small is safe) and there were millions of them.
What's a guy to do? (Especially with "bigfly" as a nick name.)
Driven to try it, I've spent an inordinate amount of time "dues paying", and trying to think like a bug that I have trouble even seeing.
Then I moved to a snowy clime and fished nothing BUT midges for winter. A long... winter. (Now, many winters.)
Snowy peaks, snowy stream banks, shore ice, and and miracle of physics, liquid water. The quarry's, environment.
Spidery tippet, frosty fingers, and small flies are a great challenge by themselves. That is only part of the commitment.
Missing feet. You can see them, you know they are there. But you must learn the Frankenstein stroll too.
Dressed up like the Michelin man, you can smile, because you have miles of fishy water to yourself.
It's not a crack of dawn thing, mid morning will do. As the air reaches it's "warmest for the day", the Lil bugs come.
Bits of lint sized bugs swirling about just below frothed sections. gathered around eddies, and glides.
Millions, biomass, a life force, the bug that is the base of the whole bug menu, and therefor perhaps most important of all.
And then it comes together. Getting a longish, soft cast. Turning the 12+ ft leader over everytime. The drift is as close to perfect as an imperfect human can make.
If the cast is angled correctly to the seam, a following mend might be avoided. No false casts, just a side arm slide with a feather duster flair.
Thereby reducing rod movement and tipping sharp eyed fish.
The lies, the seams, the fish, the bugs. You can feel the rhythm of it.
The mass of food and low flows allow them to feed casually, the clear water allows me to see them.
Pick the fish, go for position, make it happen.
Then it's all a blur, and I cradle a finned wonder.
The fish has weight and thickness and is solid from cold. I can't get my thumb over it's back. Dazzling colors. Wide strong tail. Proud pointillism.
Adapted for millennia to an environment that would give me 3 minutes if I couldn't swim free of it's grasp.
Kept in the water it doesn't panic, we sort of stare at each other for a minute. The fly fell out in the net, so I take the net downwards and away.
They know you fooled them and are not thrilled, but it was fairly done, and seems to concede this round. Fully recovered, it hovers, "waiting".
It knows the drill, freedom is seconds away.
You can buy one that supposedly is the same fish, at the market for a few casual dollars.
From where I kneel, it is beyond price.
It swims calmly away, free again. Suddenly invisible. All that color, gone.
But, a little stays with you somehow.
I often feel, "satisfied" with things at that moment.
As if was all worth it.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-20-2011 at 01:24 PM.