The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Midge Presentation

I am now tying and would like to get some advice about types of midges and presentations. For example, I have tied a lot of Mercury midges, zebra midges, top secret midges, etc. all having some flash or mercury bead. How important is it to have an assortment of just larva? It just seems that almost all the flies today have some sort flash or bead. Need some opinions, patterns, techniques or all of the above.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midge Presentation

Coy: Midges have four stages, larva, pupa, emerger and finally the adult. I mostly fish the pupa stage, fished in a two or three fly nymph rig (if a three fly rig is legal). I start out setting the indicator at 1 1/2 to 2 times the depth of the water and keep adjusting as you move from spot to spot, being super careful to get a true dead drift on each float, it really helps to not cast too far and pick up line off the water as it drifts closer to your position, as it passes you should have most if not all the line off the water. The reason that the pupa or emerger in today's designs have some sort of bead or flash is that they are trying to imitate the gas bubble of the natural as it ascends to the surface which is very reflective. If I see fish feeding near the surface I switch to either the emerger or adult (or both). I do have some larva patterns, for those you want to be dredging the bottom. If your fishing stillwater or a river with a mild current you can also switch out the indicator and use a greased line approach, in this case you are watching the line for any movement like you would with the indicator. You will also want some pretty small sizes in your arsenal. I usually won't go larger than an 18 and go down to a size 26 depending on the water. For example, on the South Platte you will probably be fishing a size 24 or 26, the same goes for the San Juan. A really good book on Midges is "Modern Midges" by Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka. Pat Dorsey's book "Fly Fishing Tailwaters" is also another very good book. Pat's other book which is also excellent it is "Tying and Fishing Tailwater Flies".

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-31-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I tie and fish midges in the lakes around here, and have had my best luck with blood midge emergers. I cast them out, let the set for a while, and then very slowly, twist retrieve them in. I don't fish midges a lot in the river, mostly streamers and nymphs there. My most effective midge has been a martis midge in orange or red. I am not the expert on midges, but that is my experience. Hopefully Joni or Mojo will chime in as I believe they fish a lot of midges and chironimids. I think Macnerney also fishes midges, and he can probably provide some good insight as well.

Hey mac, looks like you beat me to this one

d

Last edited by webrx; 01-31-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: mac beat me to it.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Larry,

Good info thank you for your time. If you were to estimate how many of your midges are larva, just a percent. I am always looking for a new way to fool fish and the greased line approach has never made it into my arsenal. Is this technique just using floatant on your line to keep it riding high enough to detect strikes or is there a specific method to this technique.

I live in Colorado Springs and the South Platte is a staple in my fishing diet. I look for any opportunity to learn somthing new. I am a believer in the theory that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Put floatant on your leader starting about 8-12 inches above the fly all the way to your fly line.
This is a great technique for dry flies, emergers and pupa.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishngolf16 View Post
Larry,

Good info thank you for your time. If you were to estimate how many of your midges are larva, just a percent. I am always looking for a new way to fool fish and the greased line approach has never made it into my arsenal. Is this technique just using floatant on your line to keep it riding high enough to detect strikes or is there a specific method to this technique.

I live in Colorado Springs and the South Platte is a staple in my fishing diet. I look for any opportunity to learn somthing new. I am a believer in the theory that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.
Coy: Just guessing probably less than 10%, I don't fish larva patterns in streams very much, but I do in stillwater. +1 for what Yat has said!

Larry

Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I mainly use midges on dry...my friend the fischmeister...takes a little mud rubs some feet of the tippet...it sinks it out of sight...maybe weird...but it works
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I was going to reply because I catch a lot of fish on midges, but Larry's post said just about everything there is to say. The only thing I would add is that I find red and black are the dominant colors for midge--I always start with one of those colors; except for caddis emerger/ pupa type patterns when they are in season-which are usually some shade of green.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the info! I will be trying it out as soon as the weather improves. -11 and a wind chill of -39 a little too cold for fly fishing today.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Coy: Here is a photo of my midge fly box, it will give you a good idea of what patterns I like to fish. I think the only thing I'm missing is some RS2 patterns that I have yet to tie this winter:
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry