Fly Fishing Raft

dryfly87

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to buy a guide raft in the next couple months. I am going to Yellowstone for the summer and I wanted to get a raft for guiding anyway so why not get it before I go out West right? Anyway, I am looking at Star because they have a decent guide price and they are close by. I have looked at Aire and NRS also and I really like the Aire fishing frame. Anyone out there have experience with any of these boats? I am going to call Aire and NRS tomorrow to see what they can sell me a boat for. Also, I do like that Star and NRS have package deals with everything you need to fish.

P.S. I had a few people ask me to post pics of my stolen drift boat and car so here it is. In case you didnt see the previous post the boat was stolen in east Tennessee. It is a Hyde Low Pro LH signature series. Thanks again

Here's the boat

Car
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._494673121585_502041585_6345381_2535603_n.jpg

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a thread where a guy is trying to sell a 2008 Hyde for $5,100.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...nal/85010-08-clackacraft-16fb-drift-boat.html
If your dead set on a raft, then you might also want to take a look at what Dave Scadden sells: davescadden2010catalog
Remember, this is the Fly Fishing Show circuit season and all the dealers are hawking there products at the shows and will give some good discounts. I'd give Dave a call and see what kind of a deal he will offer you. His line of products are top of the line.

Larry

dryfly87

Reaction score
His boats look good but i noticed there were no casting platforms knee braces etc. on the guide models. Thanks for the info though. Also that link is to a Clacka. I don't mind clacka's but I would get a Hyde if I was going for a fiberglass. I need the G4 shoe for the rivers in east Tennessee.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
His boats look good but i noticed there were no casting platforms knee braces etc. on the guide models. Thanks for the info though. Also that link is to a Clacka. I don't mind clacka's but I would get a Hyde if I was going for a fiberglass. I need the G4 shoe for the rivers in east Tennessee.
Sorry about that, it was a Clacka (don't know what I was thinking) and yes the G4 shoe would be a good idea for the rivers here in the Rockies. Doesn't the NFO Outlaw Outfitter have a casting platform at least in the front seat position?

Larry

dryfly87

Reaction score
I believe it did but I need some room for storage and there's no bottom which is a big deal when your just throwing gear around. Otherwise it looked good but maybe as a "you and your buddies" raft and not a "your gonna pay me for a guide trip" kind of raft. You know what I mean? Thanks for the idea though

Biggie

Reaction score
I have owned a Aire Super Puma for 13 seasons of guiding and it is still going very strong. I did have a problem a couple years ago with one of my chambers blowing up from me being an idiot and not letting enough air out of the boat when during a hot day in the summer. Aire was great and took care of fixing the boat quickly and at a very reasonable rate. I can't say enough about their customer service and their boats. For my frame I run and NRS fishing frame that is stripped down to a front and back seat, no casting braces and an anchor system. I sit on the cooler with a seat pad. I like to keep my rafts as light as possible so that I can put it in or take it out in places that don't always have a boat ramp.

I use both my metal hyde drift boat and the raft about equal amounts during the busy guide season. I use the raft during low water and for rivers that require portages, shallow gravel bars and big whitewater, thus storage and the comfort creatures of casting braces are not a necessity for the waters I use it on. If the raft was my only boat than I would probably deck it out and give the clients a good place to stand and fish. Just keep in mind the more you put on the raft the heavier and less responsive they become. Good luck with your purchase and with your summer in Yellowstone. I will keep my eye out for the new guy in the Star on either the Madison or Yellowstone.

Biggie

mtflyfishguide

Reaction score
I guide out of Missoula MT and have a Clacka hardboat and a hyside 13.5 ft raft. we run hard boats on big rivers and rafts on the boney rocky rapid stuff, you kinda need both to guide here. You cant beat a sotar, and I like the hyside and nrs otters. make sure you get a good rowing seat, don't like low back seats, there are a lot of rafts in Missoula, MT so check out craigs list here. good luck and be safe, sorry ot hear about your stolen boat, I hope you get your boat back and they catch the dirtball who took it

dryfly87

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I actually just found out that one of our fly fishing sales reps also reps for a company called Outcast which is apparently AIRE but just more on the fishing side of things. I havn't seen one in person but as far as I can tell by the online photos the frame looks pretty nice and the raft I hear is good quality. I should be able to get this at a pretty good price. Id really like to row my buddies star before I commit to a raft just to see how it handles. Of course its rolled up for the winter so I'll have to be patient. From what I have heard the rafts are a lot tougher to row, but I will be able to run smallmouth trips and shallow water trout trips which is not advisable around here in a hard boat. Ugh, I have a tough decision ahead of me.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi dryfly,

I have two Outcast rafts, one is a 13' 2 seat for use here and love the raft. I have had a warranty issue with a leaking toon and the company replaced the bladder on the spot. 5 year coverage and they mean it by my experience. The second raft is their Cougar one man 4 bladder boat and for the small or rough spots it too is a great thing. I am not a guide so I don't own any 4 man craft.

Ard

Ard

pete1229

Reaction score
I have a Tributary 13 sb and like it a lot. It's made by Aire but is quite a bit cheaper.

hookworm

Reaction score
I have an NRS Otter with the NRS fishing frame. IMHO NRS makes the best frames and like someone mentioned about blowing a tube because it got hot out...NRS has a pressure valve that won't let the pressure get too high....GREAT invention.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi dryfly87,

This thread is a month old but maybe you haven't got your raft yet.

I suggest you call Drift Away Outfitters at (570) 689 4210 and talk to Tom. They offer free shipping and may have just what you are looking for or can get it for you. They are a sponsor and Tom is a nice guy.

Frank

driftaway

Reaction score
Thank you Frank, We carry Scadden, Buck Bag and Skookum. All made right here in the USA. I also have a company I could recommend if what we have does not interest him

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi driftway,

I think it is good advise to contact you even if you were not a sponsor. You carry all of the top lines in pontoon boats in one location. You should be able to give a good comparison between the different boats. Free Shipping makes the deal for me.

I have never had any problems with my Bucks Bag Bronco II. A great pontoon boat with a stainless steel frame. My frame is still just like new. I have seen some of the painted aluminum frames that were really beat up. That is, the paint job was beat up. The anchor works great and I can operate it with one hand. I did have to modify it slightly but that was for my convenience. I have used the same bladders for 13 years now and they still hold air with no leaks. The valves are top notch and have never leaked. I just like it a lot.

Frank

driftaway

Reaction score
Bucks Bag make a great product. The frames are stainless. Some think that aluminum is the way to go because of weight. But the stainless are really the same weight but stronger. Plus they are made in the USA. Im not saying that all products from China are bad. But if Im buying something made in China then I want Chinese prices.