The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Article on Fly Rod Action

I just read Phil Monahan's article on fly rod action in the July/August issue of American Angler. It is an excellent article and for someone like me, who has always been confused about what it means for a rod to be fast or slow, it shed some new light on what all of this is about. I feel like I truly understand this area a whole lot better now than I did before I read the article.

One thing that stood out to me, and that I totally agreed with, was a quote by Jerry Siem that basically said a rod has no action unless it is loaded with a line and cast. I was recently in a local fly shop to look at a Scott G2 and a Winston BIIX both in 4 wt. The guy I was talking with told me they were like apples and oranges and had me wiggle both of them. He stated "See what I mean. They are totally different.". To be honest I didn't notice much, if any, difference between the two. However, we loaded them up and went outside to cast them and there I was able to tell the difference. I am a big believer now that you need to cast a rod prior to buying it and not just wiggle them in the shop.

Thanks to Phil for writing the article. It was worth the purchase price just for that article and the insight I gleaned from it.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Article on Fly Rod Action

So how do you like the new Winston?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

and the Scott?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I absolutely love the Winston. I am a big Winston fan now. It just seems to fit my casting stroke so well. It is fun to cast and and fish. I really went in wanting the Scott. Something about old school versus the newer, cooler and hipper alternative. The Winston just won me over and after the first cast I knew I was going to buy it. The guy from the shop just looked at me with this knowing grin on his face. He knew that by getting me out to cast the rods that I wouldn't leave there without one in hand. I now understand why Winston has been around so long and why they have such devoted followers. I am a proud member of the "green stick" brigade. I will have to be honest and say I would love to have one of the Scotts as well. So many rods and so little time (and cash).
Old 06-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
The guy from the shop just looked at me with this knowing grin on his face.
I sold alot of RPLXi 890-3 rods that way, and from what I've heard about that series of Winston, it sells itself well too. Glad you found a stick you're thrilled with.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I absolutely love the Winston. I am a big Winston fan now. It just seems to fit my casting stroke so well. It is fun to cast and and fish. I really went in wanting the Scott. Something about old school versus the newer, cooler and hipper alternative. The Winston just won me over and after the first cast I knew I was going to buy it. The guy from the shop just looked at me with this knowing grin on his face. He knew that by getting me out to cast the rods that I wouldn't leave there without one in hand. I now understand why Winston has been around so long and why they have such devoted followers. I am a proud member of the "green stick" brigade. I will have to be honest and say I would love to have one of the Scotts as well. So many rods and so little time (and cash).
Welcome to the brotherhood.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My 5 wt. of choice is Sage's 9'0" Z-Axis. But, my wife routinely fishes an 8'6" Winston BIIx. And you know, it's amazing how often I offer to swap rods with her. A 5 wt. that feels like a 3 wt. in the hand, that launches razor tight loops almost effortlessly and that let's you feel fish almost as well as a bamboo rod. Hard to find. Good choice on the BIIx, txbevo.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Re: Article on Fly Rod Action

Wiggling the BIIx in the store and casting it with the proper line are two different beasts for sure. The wiggle test says whimbly, the casting test says range up the wazoo!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I also like Mr. Monahan's article. I took issue with one thing he wrote. I agree that a beginner is best served by a medium action rod. However I disagree that the next best option is a fast action rod and the worst is a medium action rod. Just the opposite. A beginner can not get a fast action rod to load and thus can't feel the loading-and-unloading progression of the cast. With a medium rod the beginner can feel the rod load and thereby discover the cast's natural rhythm.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I think it prob. varies. Im new to the sport and my first rod is a st. croix legend elite. I would consider this to be a fast rod. I have an easier time overhead casting with this than slower rods. My guess is because its my first so i just got used to it...but i think every angler is prob. different.