The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Adventures of a newbie

Great story Kev and nothing better than having a good friend to help you out on a new adventure. Sounds like you made some major improvements, now it's time to catch some fish.

Hope to hear some follow-up stories

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kevin,

Reading your story brought one thing to mind, that we were all new to this at a time in our lives. I started out as rough around the edges as casting can get but the will to improve overcomes obstacles. You will see a day when doing things that you don't even think of with a cast now will be as natural an act as taking your next breath so keep fishing.

Casting is the surface of fly fishing. It is what people see if and when we are seen while out on a river or creek. What you are getting into is another dimension of your life and in this dimension you may find a personality that you did not previously know. The fact that you are writing about your progress to an audience is evidence of an inner voice and that voice is that of history. Millions of people have learned what we are doing and there is an intrinsic quality that keeps people coming. You find someone new and that someone is you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo342000 View Post
Wow, how ironic - I was thinking of doing the same thing, making a chronicle of FF from the perspective of a Newb.

Seems like you have that covered now, and nobody wants to be a copy cat.

As for me, I am an Uber Newb - no instruction only reading and online videos, 1 hr of casting practice in the back yard, and 1 day of FF last sunday on the chattooga river in SC.

It will be interesting to follow your progress, and be able to compare my own improvements against yours.
dbo
You could use the blog feature on the forum to keep a running record of you fly fishing exploits too!! I've used it a little over the last couple of seasons. You can see what I mean here The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Davo's Fly Angling Adventures

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your kind words. I had hoped that I could share a tiny bit of the fun I had on the water through the written word. I know on the cold, snowy days like we've been having here this week, the next best thing to being on the water is reading about other people's adventures. It usually makes me green with envy, but that just makes me all the more motivated to get out and FISH.

Speaking of fish, I believe my next trip out ought to involve at least trying to catch something, besides pneumonia. My buddy Dustin and I have set a tentative date of the last weekend in February to take his drift boat down to the White River. I think I'd like to hit the water again some time before that, it's just a question of finding another day when A: I'm off work, and B: the temperature is above freezing. Not an easy task here lately.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

My first 4-5 trips as a newbie resulted in disappointment, discouragement, frustration, and no fish.

I met a guy who took me fishing, taught me a lot, and I caught a few small wild trout. I will never forget my first fish on the fly, it was a 6 inch wild rainbow, but it may as well have been 60 inches. I was so proud of that fish.

Using my newly gained knowledge, I would go out solo and catch 1, sometimes 2. I progressively got better, fished with some other folks who helped me and taught me new techniques and helped me improve on my skills.

Now, I am a fairly decent fly flinger and trout catcher. I get better as time goes by. Slowly but surely, I catch more and more fish, also, I catch larger fish, and those larger fish get bigger as time goes by and skills improve.

Hang in there and best of luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevthebassman View Post
Thank you all for your kind words. I had hoped that I could share a tiny bit of the fun I had on the water through the written word. I know on the cold, snowy days like we've been having here this week, the next best thing to being on the water is reading about other people's adventures. It usually makes me green with envy, but that just makes me all the more motivated to get out and FISH.
Kevin: Right on! Keep up the great work, as you said there are a lot of folks on this forum who are stuck at home with this severe wx and hearing about your exploits sure is great to read and just motivates all of us to want to get out fishing! Come on SPRING!

Larry

Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Great story, Kev. And don't feel bad, I once locked my keys in the car.... in the ignition.... with the car running. That's why I keep my keys on a carbiner on my vest.

And the blog is a good idea as well. I had started on as more of an online fishing journal.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Just thought I'd share an update with you all, figured that this thread was as good a place as any.

Sunday, the weather was just too nice out to pass up the chance to get on the water. I have been cooped up all winter, and haven't driven any further than home to work and back again, so I was getting the fishing bug bad, with a secondary infection of wanderlust. I made up my mind that I wanted to see new water. The Current River was my destination.

Now, being as I'm on 2nd shift and get to see and talk to the wife a grand total of about an hour a day, she was having none of me being gone all day long with valentine's day the 14th and our anniversary the 17th. So, we did the sensible thing, and packed up ourselves and my 6 month old son and set out on a 5 hour road trip!

The scenery on the trip down was great, it's really nice to get out of the suburban hell-hole and see the country. We got to the river in good time, and the wife and baby were going to putter around and watch daddy steal a couple hours on the water.

I suited up, got rigged, and hit the water. Before I made my first cast, I figured I ought to test my drag. I took the 4lb tippet in my hand and gave a steady pull on it, and it came off the reel a little easier than I liked, so I gave a turn on the drag and pulled again. With steady pressure, I got a couple inches of line off the reel, then heard a sickening snap! I looked up and the rod looked fine, but the slightest pressure on the line revealed that the rod had collapsed an inch above the last ferrule.

Heartbreak.

My first attempt at catching fish on my new setup was over before it even began. I am inclined to think that this was a manufacturing defect. The rod is brand new, and resides in a hard case when not in use. I cannot imagine that the rod would have held up to hooking a fish if it were delicate enough to be broken by pulling on the tippet. On the other hand, I am inexperienced when it comes to fly tackle, so I have no idea if in fact pulling line back towards myself constitutes abuse.

This is not a rich man's setup, but it cost me $100+ and is not the least expensive setup offered at Cabela's. Fortunately Cabela's has always been very good about accepting returned merchandise. I've got back pay from a late raise coming next week, plus tax returns coming any day now, so I am in a position to upgrade, but I didn't see having to do it this way!

If not for the double-whammy of the company of my beautiful wife and son, and the majesty of the outdoors, this trip would have been a total failure and waste of time. Had I ducked out and gone alone it would have been one very long, very angry drive home. Next time I go out I will be sure to bring a backup rod and reel to salvage the trip in the event of another unfortunate equipment failure.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Kev

That is a heartbreaker of an experience. I'm sitting here typing while trying to remember my first rod break and find that I can't. Over my 38yrs of fly fishing I have broken many rods some my own fault and some unknown. It is par for the course. Most companies are very good at taking care of their customers in those situations, but that does not make up for the lost fishing time. Next time you'll have back up!! Lesson learned! Hope all goes well getting it fixed.

Little tale for you, I had a client a few years back that was fishing at the boat ramp while I launched the boat for a full day float on the Snake. He had just bought the rod for this trip and was very excited. Just as I called for him to load up so we could head down river a nice 15" Cutthroat takes his fly. He sets the hook and the rod snaps in half. He was devastated in spite of actually landing the fish by hand. He fish with one of my rods for the day but I'm sure it was not as fun as it would have been for him with his rod.

It's really nice to hear the name Current River. I grew up in Chesterfield MO. Spent many a summer canoeing the Current and Jacksfork rivers. You have some great water to fish there!!

Keep the reports coming and don't forget the photos too!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Very sad to hear of your rod but atleast orvis will replace it

I can remember doing the same sort of trip with my wife and son (at 1yr) before we had 2 we had a great time no fish though, midge hatches can be like that

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD