The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adventures of a newbie

Well done, Kev-only wish other forumites would share their experiences. I'm fortunate to have a large park across the street from me where I can practise casting-as long as the dogs don't try chasing the end of my line! Brings back memories of back in the sixties when I was duck hunting before school and locked the keys in miles from any where or one. Fortunately it was easy to knock out the side window of a 51 chevy biscayne out so we didn't have to walk back the fifteen miles to town, but just shows we're all human.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Kev

That is a heartbreaker of an experience. I'm sitting here typing while trying to remember my first rod break and find that I can't. Over my 38yrs of fly fishing I have broken many rods some my own fault and some unknown. It is par for the course. Most companies are very good at taking care of their customers in those situations, but that does not make up for the lost fishing time. Next time you'll have back up!! Lesson learned! Hope all goes well getting it fixed.

Little tale for you, I had a client a few years back that was fishing at the boat ramp while I launched the boat for a full day float on the Snake. He had just bought the rod for this trip and was very excited. Just as I called for him to load up so we could head down river a nice 15" Cutthroat takes his fly. He sets the hook and the rod snaps in half. He was devastated in spite of actually landing the fish by hand. He fish with one of my rods for the day but I'm sure it was not as fun as it would have been for him with his rod.

It's really nice to hear the name Current River. I grew up in Chesterfield MO. Spent many a summer canoeing the Current and Jacksfork rivers. You have some great water to fish there!!

Keep the reports coming and don't forget the photos too!!
Chesterfield? You don't say. That's just 20 minutes or so away from me. Trust me when I say I'm sure it's changed since you were a kid. That town has truly exploded since they got their levee. It's even getting pretty hoity-toity for a river town, I hear they're going to be getting a Ruth's Chris steakhouse pretty soon.

Now, on the subject of the Current River... I don't know if you'll remember or not, but if someone could tell me where exactly it turns from a wading river to a floating river, that'd save me from some unnecessary driving. At Baptist Camp access, you can allllllllmost spit across the river if you've got a good wad of copenhagen in.

And don't worry, I'll keep the reports coming, and hopefully photos very soon. My old phone has almost given up the ghost, and the wife is bound and determined to get me using a smart phone. I just worry about the phone being smarter than I am and getting mouthy with me.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Kev

Where we floated the Current was a big river. Most our floats were on the Jacksfork from Eminence, MO downstream to to where it meets the Current which we always referred to as Two Rivers. Some of our floats were upstream from Alley Springs to Eminence. These had to be done early in the summer when there was still enough water. Above Alley Springs the Jacksfork gets spotty with little water except in the spring. I have no idea how far up the Current you need to go for wading water. I was only 12 when we moved to the East Coast, and that was in 1975.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Another update for you all!

After my last update, with a broken rod and a long, quiet drive home, this update is a welcome change!

Last week, I exchanged my rod for another, picked up a couple of flies, and dreamed about being on the water.

The weather forecast for last weekend was just too nice to ignore. On Saturday, I called my fishing buddy, and we resolved to be on the water bright and early Sunday morning to get closer to God than one can get sitting on a pew.

Sunday morning came, and we made the drive down in the dark, getting to Baptist Camp access on the Current River early in the gray, overcast morning. The weather was warm for February.

We started out pitching streamers, not having much luck. I had a few fish that looked like they were takers, but I will have to work on my streamer fishing, as I could not seem to strip fast enough to keep contact with the fly for a solid hookset. Missed at least two fish this way, probably more.

As the day got warmer, some sort of hatch started popping off. At first, one or two small whiteish-tan insects dancing on the water with tiny little fish rolling on them, then noticeably more of the same insects with larger rises beneath them caused me to take notice, and I opened my flybox and tied on an Adams, and began casting.

It didn't take me too long to make a connection. I was drifting it down and talking to my fishing buddy when I saw a flash, then a boil where my fly used to be. I set the hook and the fight was on.

Now, as far as trout goes, this isn't much to look at. But it's the first trout I've taken on the fly. It's the first anything I've take on the fly, so it was very special to me. I was ecstatic to hook up, fight, and land this guy. What a privilege!

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...7&l=f47c480f4b

Pics at the link.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Kev

on the streamer fishing, you might want to actually slow down just a bit. Sounds like you are get what I call short hits. The fish are just hitting the tail. Being that it is still Feb. the cold will have the fish moving a little slower. I for one would give slowing my retrieve just a bit and see if the fish don't catch up to the fly a little better.

But it's great that you got some dry action!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-28-2011, 05:12 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road

awesome catch! This is nice seeing someone progressing as I will be following in your footsteps in about a month once I start my fly fishing adventures. Congrats!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 AM

I had to run to work earlier, so now I'll revisit this a little bit. After my catch, the hatch really, REALLY came on. Clouds of small, tan bugs. I kept fishing the Adams, but had no further hookups. What I did have, were tiny fish, whether fingerling trout, or some other species I cannot tell, by the dozen. I couldn't make a drift without one of the little guys darting up in a flash and hitting my fly.

I don't know if that means that I just wasn't fishing where the trout were, or if perhaps my presentation or tippet were off. I was fishing 5X tippet, probably 4 feet long. Perhaps I need a longer tippet?

Davo, I get what you are saying about short strikes, have had that sort of thing in bass fishing. My problem wasn't so much short strikes as it was just plain not being in contact with my fly. I couldn't catch up with my fly until it was almost ready to swing down past me. That may have been partly the fault of my casting. At the start of the day I was piling up leader around the fly instead of turning the whole length out. That got better after I switched to the dry fly and concentrated on my cast more as I got the feel actually fishing my rod.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Congrats, that's a nice first fish.

I get fingerlings that hit my fly all the time. I think it's a case of their eyes are leger than there mouths are. It's aggravating, since the buggers scare of their bigger brothers.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog