The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 AM

leon o is on a distinguished road
Default Casual Beginner Outfit - TFO NXT or other options?

I would like to try fly fishing, but realize that I expect to get only a few hours a month at the water. Thus, I'm taking a very casual approach. My intent is to chase panfish from local ponds where I typically chase bass. If I hook into a bass, that's just a bonus. I might also try jumping into the tiny streams where I fished for trout as a kid.

With this expectation, I assume it is unreasonable to spend a ton on equipment that may not be used and probably won't be fully appreciated in the near future.

One of the rods that seems to be recommended as good compromise between providing feel and forgiveness for beginners is the TFO Professional. However, with a comparable reel & line, I'd be well over $200 (I've haven't seen them on sale). My thought is getting the TFO NXT outfit. I haven't seen many reviews, but the rod is supposed to be nice, with many of the same characteristics of the Pro. If I get more committed to fly fishing I would upgrade the line, and then the reel. Then, of course, progress to more equipment.

Does it may sense to go with the new NXT 4/5 outfit at a pretty good discount, pursue other combos such as Ross Essence, Fly Logic, LL Bean or Orvis that can be found for about $200 or less?

The other route is to put together my own combo with either a new entry level reel or a quality used reel such as a Battenkill / Venture. New Rods on Clearance that caught my eye were Sage 590-2, Winston Ascent/Vapor 490-4 and a Reddington RS4 2-Piece. And, there' alway the chance of a used bargain on the auction site.

EDIT: I should add that I tried search the forums for NXT and did not find much. I also did not find a lot through Google. Given family responsibilities & the weather it might be June before I can get to a fly shop. I found an NXT on sale and I'm wondering if it is solid enough to snap up - so I can then focus on how and where to use it

Thanks,

Leon

Last edited by leon o; 02-01-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Addition Info
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Casual Beginner Outfit - TFO NXT or other options?

NXT was my first setup. It is great. TFO has a great warranty. I broke the rod and they fixed the broken piece for $25 no questions asked.

It is a great deal and fantastic way to get into the sport.

Have fun!

Rory
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I have a lot of respect for TFO combo. But the reel is not that great. I would rather go for tfo pro series and Allen reel, the cost of which will be about the same price with NTX combo.
And just get one and begin fishing because someday or within this year you might want to get another outfit.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

TFO make great rods for the money. You also can't go wrong with Sage products. I understand your not wanting to throw a lot of money in at the outset, but I used cheap equipment for years and then finally started buying better stuff and it has made a HUGE difference in the amount and size of fish I have caught.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM

The trick is finding an outfit that maximizes my chances to learn, without being excessive for my (non-existant) abilities

I assume that I'm taking the right approach by avoiding very fast rods that are designed for casting distance.

I'm also beginning to lean towards new-from authorized dealer rods since rod breakage seems to be a bigger factor than in the "conventional rod" world.

I've found a fly shop in my home state who does a lot of telephone & email work. The downside is that pesky sales tax that gets added on top of shipping. I do like the idea of keeping my dollars close to home.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Leon,

Yes, I definitely would investigate the manufacturer's warranty when you finally decide on a rod. Most of them are pretty good-- they will usually fix anything for the life of the rod for between $20 and $45. I bought a Scott A3 4 wt last fall to round out my rods (I have three main rods for different situations). The third time out the rod tip broke. Scott's policy is they will fix it for $45. But having only used it three times, I took it back to the fly shop and they called Scott. Scott agreed to waive the $45 saying that it shouldn't have broken so soon. This is the kind of company you want to do business with. I have heard similar good things about Sage and TFO.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

In 30+ years of fly fishing, I've only broken one rod: I closed a pickup truck door on it, and that was when I was 18. Don't let the warranty prevent you from buying a rod that you would like. While I take care of my gear, I've seen fly rods take some serious abuse without breaking.

Axle27 has a 9' 5wt St. Croix Imperial listed in the Classified forum on this website. This is one of the Made in USA Imperial, and I have one in a 7' 6" 4wt configuration. It's a very nice rod (axle27's pics are bad ), and well worth $70 shipped. I posted my thoughts on other rods in your Warmwater forum thread.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM

dryfly87 is on a distinguished road

I think one of the best beginner setups you can buy is a Redington kit. The same guys who are designing the high end Sage rods are designing the Redington's. You can pick one up for around $200. If you want to set up your own rod/reel combo I like St. Croix and the Ross Worldwide reels. Shops like the one I work at will typically throw in a fly line if you buy a rod and reel together. Another reason I like these companies is for there great Warranty's.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM

fredthefishhead is on a distinguished road

ebay also has some killer deals on all level rods and reels.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthefishhead View Post
ebay also has some killer deals on all level rods and reels.
I follow ebay routinely; it was a source for many of my bass rods. But, I don't know enough about fly fishing gear to recognize those really super bargins. I think I missed a few good deals, but then again I'm learning that some sold cheap for a reason.

Thanks to the forum I'm beginning to recognize the proven gear.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.